Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Other

Old 15-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #11
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzo View Post
are the controllers hamart/ morgan -- if so look at the wiper panel or change over to the other controller /( wiring mat goes high resistance ) - I have had problems with the h/m at the club regards Dave
Controllers are fine Dave, somewhere under the layout in the miles of wiring the fault will lie
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #12
whizzo

whizzo is on a distinguished road

sorry mate - so frustrating - but I cannot help -- good luck
whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #13
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

To me it sounds like a short between one DC controller and the other via the track sections. In other words, one track section with one controller will have the track touching via track slippage or a metal object between two track sections using different controllers. This to my past experience can cause locos to go in one direction and not another. I dont know the why's. Just know it happened to me years ago when a piece of track slipped and I didnt have an IRJ there. Just an airgap.
I hope this helps. To confirm if this is the issue, disconnect any other controller and if all then works fine with the first controller you know this is the cause. Tracing the fault is another issue!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #14
scratchbuilt

scratchbuilt is on a distinguished road

Take the loco off the track ( and anything else that is on there ) and measure the track voltage with the controller forwards , and then reverse ,Does it change?. Ive got a suspicion its a bit of debris in one of the frogs on that section of trackwork. Has anything changed on the layout recently, or has there been a derailment ( could be a bit of detailing like a whitemetal 'hose' jammed somewhere) ... Is there a 'bent' blade on a point . If you don't have a meter handy , then use a 12V bulb ( not a LED) and it should be equal brightness with the controller in both directions.
scratchbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #15
brian1951
Super Moderator

Voltage is reduced in one direction by over 50%.
Old 15-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #16
scratchbuilt

scratchbuilt is on a distinguished road

You are looking for a connection that sholdn't be there , if that makes sense, Its something like a stray strand of wire, a bridge across an insulated link ( ie across a gap that is now no longer an IRJ ( Insulated Rail Joiner) ) . It can also be something like a combination of point directions that you normally wouldn't use, and you end up with a sneak circuit.

If you are seeing a voltage drop to half in one direction, then something must be getting warm or even hot... Leave it in 'fault' mode for a minute and then lightly run your finger along all the track - both rails- and just see if anything just feels a bit warmer than normal. It does have a chance of being a sneak circuit conecting the output of two controllers together . Make sure that all controllers have the three position direction switch in the off position- except the one you are monitoring . If they are not three position, then you will be needing to remove output wires. Turning them off doesn't isolate the outputs.
scratchbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #17
brian1951
Super Moderator

I may have traced it, when the Faller road system is switch on the fault goes away. So more investigating in the light tomorrow, thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 17-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #18
brian1951
Super Moderator

All up and running again, phew
Old 17-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #19
Rog (RJ)
Super Duper Moderator ;-)

Rog (RJ) is on a distinguished road

What was it?

Rog (RJ)
Rog (RJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
brian1951
Super Moderator

Pin pointing the power drain was worse than looking for a needle in a haystack, so i disconnected everything from the bus, powered the bus up again and it worked as it should, so there is a chance i may never pinpoint the original problem.