Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 15-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I donít think Railway Modeller or Hornby mag or any of the other magazines give better reviews to those that pay more. It would come back and bite them on the backside if they did.
Old 15-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
Numpty
A man barely alive!

Numpty is on a distinguished road

I have just received my first copy of Hornby magazine from my new subscription and I have to say I am impressed by the quality. I also got a very nice pack of free books as a welcome gift!
Old 15-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #13
Pedros

Pedros is on a distinguished road

I have a few hobbies and they all have a few titles of magazines that you can either subscribe to or buy off the shelf and I've tried them all at one point or another. Here's my general observations:

1. They are great for newcomers to a hobby where soaking up information is good.

2. Continue with a magazine for long enough and you will see topics repeated over and again. It's inevitable.

3. Scepticism about product reviews is good, but reviews are helpful.

4. Adverts, whilst mostly padding and income for the mag can be useful too.

5. Model rail magazines as a general rule offer good value compared with many other hobby magazines.

So, if new to any hobby I'd advocate trying all the magazines. Thereafter, be selective and buy editions with articles that appeal to you. Although a gift of a subscription isn't something I'd turn down.
Pedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #14
Raetiamann

Raetiamann is on a distinguished road

I tend to scan the magazines monthly and buy those that have articles relevant to my particular interests or one with an outstandingly built layout. Otherwise I end up with huge piles of paper.

Periodically I reference the said articles, so in theory I can locate them when needed.
Raetiamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #15
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedros View Post

2. Continue with a magazine for long enough and you will see topics repeated over and again. It's inevitable.

That wouldnít bother me, I canít remember what I was doing yester......sorry what was the question again?
Old 16-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #16
renoair

renoair is on a distinguished road

Personally I subscribe to Model Rail which find caters for all my modelling needs at the moment and there are some very useful articles by George Dent most months. if anyones interested at the moment they are offering 2 years subscription for the price of a single year, but like all magazines they're about 30 per cent adverts but i suppose thats how they make their money.
renoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #17
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a few hobbies and they all have a few titles of magazines that you can either subscribe to or buy off the shelf and I've tried them all at one point or another. Here's my general observations:

1. They are great for newcomers to a hobby where soaking up information is good.

3. Scepticism about product reviews is good, but reviews are helpful.

4. Adverts, whilst mostly padding and income for the mag can be useful too.

5. Model rail magazines as a general rule offer good value compared with many other hobby magazines.

So, if new to any hobby I'd advocate trying all the magazines. Thereafter, be selective and buy editions with articles that appeal to you. Although a gift of a subscription isn't something I'd turn down.
I'd agree with all of that.
Old 16-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #18
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

The problem with magazines, is that they don't have an index. When you have, as I have, a full set of Hornby Magazine, you remember reading an article/review, but you can't usually remember when you read it. I think (without checking) that Hornby Mag. came out in about 2007 - that a lot of remembering!
Old 16-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #19
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

I pass my mags on to anybody else who wants them. I get Hornby mag and an aviation one. I really only buy them to keep up to date and get ideas looking at the pictures.

If I need to find out how to do something, which is extremely rare, I google it or ask on here.
Old 17-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #20
Lukey

Lukey is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I used to subscribe to practical fish keeping and after 12 months you would see the same articles or theams come around again, gets a bit boring
Lukey is offline   Reply With Quote