Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 11-07-2018, 01:04 AM   #1
Cilfan

Cilfan is on a distinguished road
Default Hornby Pendolino (Address Allocation)

Hi all,

When I told my step son that I was getting back into the hobby his reaction was "Great, can I help? I never had a train set as a kid". Bless him, he's 43 years old!

I model American HO and we've spent the past couple of months travelling around model shops - ostensibly looking for rolling stock, but generally enjoying a great time together.

In one shop Jack spotted and fell in love with a Pendolino, clearly not American, but who am I to argue? So after he'd gone home I ordered a 1st grade used one (that already had decoders fitted by the previous owner) from Hattons.

Now to the point of my post - and I apologise for the preamble. Putting the two motor units on my programming track I thought "This'll be interesting, my first ever programming of a double-header - or consist as the yanks call it". Selected address 3, hit the forward button, opened the throttle and both units moved as a pair! Great, clearly whoever installed the decoders had already programmed one unit to work in reverse. But my question is this: I now want to allocate these two units a joint 4 number address. Normally this would require giving each unit a number and then pairing them. Can I just re-address the pair with a 4 digit number or do I need to re-address them individually?
Old 11-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
RAFHAAA96
Trying-hard-to-re Member

RAFHAAA96 is on a distinguished road

If the decoder and/or controller supports it then just give both the same 4-digit address, either invidually or as a pair. Use the latter method if the trailer is unmotorised as some decoders need the motor load to accept programming.

With both on the same address there is no need to consist them.
Rob

Last edited by RAFHAAA96; 11-07-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Grammar
RAFHAAA96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Cilfan

Cilfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFHAAA96 View Post
If the decoder and/or controller supports it then just give both the same 4-digit address, either invidually or as a pair. Use the latter method if the trailer is unmotorised as some decoders need the motor load to accept programming.

With both on the same address there is no need to consist them.
Rob
Thanks Rob, that's what I thought (and dare I say, hoped) would be the case. Quite apart from anything else it's going to be easier, because I like to use the loco's cab number as the address and, being a 4 car matched set, both (powered) motor units carry the same number.