Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > General Modelling

General Modelling Use this area for modelling items that don't fit elsewhere

Old 05-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Ciscokid

Ciscokid is on a distinguished road
Smile Nice Montrose set found...any value to you?

(Hello, I am new to this site but very active in the Kalmbach forums in the US and a long time modeller in Canada. Just now in between layouts as have recently moved..just for info here is the last video of my layout in Squamish, BC, I have deleted the others.)

hmm I don't know if that will show up correctly as a link. Not quite like my other forum format, but you can get the idea

MAIN POINT: Yesterday I had a look at the Duchess of Montrose set a friend had found in a tear down of a residence out here in BC. Not completely familiar with UK models, but it is:
Duchess of Montrose
3-track HO or 00 scale
Hornby Duplo
Loco and tender
several tank cars
several coaches
seems auto loading/unloading motorized baggage car with siding and contact rail etc.
full track
all good to excellent condition with one coach needing roof work.

From my Canadian point of view it is brilliant. I would buy it if it was for sale, but it is not....and I am 1950s Canadain rail modeller anyway. What might it be worth?
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Hi Ciscokid - best check values with ebay. A 3-rail Hornby Duchess of Montrose has been around since the 1950's - so it has few years under it's belt! The auto loading baggage car could be the Royal Mail coach and accessories - also around in the 1950's - I had both DoM and the Royal Mail set-up in the 1950's - you hooked a sack (made of lead I think?) on a hook and as the coach went buy the side opened and took the bag, next time round it would take another bag and drop the first one off. If in good condition they may fetch a reasonable price - there are many collectors of Hornby 3-rail - but remember the items you have have been around for nearly seventy years. BB

PS. Just checked on ebay - a good 3-rail Duchess of Montrose - current bid 47.00 and a nice looking Royal Mail Set at 25.00 (Buy it now) - at this age the coaches were tin-plate. BB

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 05-07-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
(Hello, I am new to this site but very active in the Kalmbach forums in the US and a long time modeller in Canada. Just now in between layouts as have recently moved..just for info here is the last video of my layout in Squamish, BC, I have deleted the others.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK5HvamzM3U

hmm I don't know if that will show up correctly as a link. Not quite like my other forum format, but you can get the idea

MAIN POINT: Yesterday I had a look at the Duchess of Montrose set a friend had found in a tear down of a residence out here in BC. Not completely familiar with UK models, but it is:
Duchess of Montrose
3-track HO or 00 scale
Hornby Duplo
Loco and tender
several tank cars
several coaches
seems auto loading/unloading motorized baggage car with siding and contact rail etc.
full track
all good to excellent condition with one coach needing roof work.

From my Canadian point of view it is brilliant. I would buy it if it was for sale, but it is not....and I am 1950s Canadain rail modeller anyway. What might it be worth?
I can't see the link as on my side it says it is not supported. (Is my side of things. Most should see it I think).

I have one of those sets which was passed down from my father. They are very well made. Hornby Dublo 3 rail (00 gauge) items were expensive in their day, but were made in their masses as there was little competition in this size in the UK, and also it was the "In thing" to have.
Today's values have changed. Hornby Dublo 2 rail came in later and was more saught after as it ran on ordinary two rail track so secondhand it used to fetch a far greater value and the three rail items would go for low prices.
However, since the days of DCC and that much better detailed locos became available the market has changed, and the nostalgia of watching and listening to a 3 rail express thundering along on 3 rail tinplate track can't be beat, so there has been a shift in prices, where 3 rail tends to gain higher prices then two rail.
Triang bought Hornby and the result at first was to call the items Triang Hornby, but later they used the Hornby brand name instead and sold the Triang brand name to a company who specialized in children's outdoor toys and prdal trikes/go carts etc.

The old Hornby Dublo items were sold to Wrenn, and Hornby became the new Triang... If that makes sense!

The Duchess of Montrose set was one of the most popular sets they made so is of lower value then other sets BUT it is still valued by Hornby Dublo enthusiasts, especially those who want to start collecting three rail. (Other Hornby Dublo 3 rail enthusiasts will already have one of these!)
While the rarer Hornby Dublo items fetch higher prices, even the rarer items were made in volumes which make today's ready to run more popular items look rare as today's production runs are lower then they once were.
I'm slightly out of date with HD prices, but I would expect the Duchess of Montrose set with its two custard and cream coaches to fetch around 70-140 depending on condition, with 80-120 being about the normal price to pay, though prices may have changed since the last time I looked. Is a good idea to check the internet to see what sort of prices they sell for.

Triang, Wrenn and Hornby Dublo 2 rail are the real bargains today if buying due to many people selling them to get todays more detailed models. Hornby Dublo 3 rail? Buy them now if you want them as the prices are rising.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-07-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Ciscokid

Ciscokid is on a distinguished road

Thanks, gentlemen. Yes, that is what I thought. The set has the cream coloured coaches and several other cars....about 8 or 9 in all including that baggage car set. Yes, I imagine it only worth something to nostalgic collectors of old items.....not as a set to run often.
Sorry about the video link. It shows up correctly on my pages. However if you want a look at some of my work (this last remaining video) I believe it you go to youtube and search sssisskokid you find the final video.... if this address doesn't take you there directly
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=sssisskokid
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
Thanks, gentlemen. Yes, that is what I thought. The set has the cream coloured coaches and several other cars....about 8 or 9 in all including that baggage car set. Yes, I imagine it only worth something to nostalgic collectors of old items.....not as a set to run often.
Sorry about the video link. It shows up correctly on my pages. However if you want a look at some of my work (this last remaining video) I believe it you go to youtube and search sssisskokid you find the final video.... if this address doesn't take you there directly
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=sssisskokid
Will look in a bit. The price of the set I gave is just for the two coaches with the set. The other coaches are seperate. Normally about 8-10 a coach. The baggage car about 20. Some coaches I've bought were 20 each. These had painted on windows and LNER livery if I remember correctly.
The locos themselves often need remagnatizing. I bought new powerful magnets and they run well. Remagnatizing isn't a hard job though. You sent the loco off to someone who has the equipment to do it. It is not a difficult job so shouldnt cost too much to do. You can tell if the loco needs remagnatizing as it will be weak and will run hot, and can trip the overload cutout on the controller when the motor gets warm.
Those locos normally pull about eight tinplate coaches on level track, sometimes more.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-07-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
LC&DR
Goods Shunter (retired)

LC&DR is on a distinguished road

Hornby Dublo (not to be confused with Hornby nowadays) still has a buoyant following amongst mainly the older model railway fraternity. (Like me!) and there is a supporter's group in the UK ( http://www.hrca.net/ ) who offer their members access to a large spares and repairs network, and run regular auctions on behalf of the membership, and publish a full colour glossy magazine ten times per annum.

The Duchess of Montrose was one of the more popular models for the three rail system, and can be picked up at reasonable prices, condition is important, play worn examples command considerably less than mint boxed examples.

The clatter of the heavy metal locomotive pulling tinplate carriages round an oval of tinplate track is one of the great nostalgic sounds of my childhood.
LC&DR is offline   Reply With Quote