Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #11
Panteg

Panteg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minipix View Post
FWIW, I'm using extruded polystyrene foam as my base, which isn't too dissimilar from Sundeala I think. Mine was actually branded as underfloor heating insulation, but it's essentially the same thing. The styrofoam base is around 10mm thick, sitting on top of a sheet of 10mm chipboard, which is itself on a wooden frame to add even more rigidity. My layout is in my garage, so time will tell whether these are good decisions!

I'm already loving the styrofoam as a base, simply because of how easy it is to landscape. But it's not the sturdiest of materials on its own, and you may well run into issues in the long run if you're only bracing every 60cm; it'll probably be fine initially, but I can imagine it sagging eventually. If you're not using anything underneath, my gut feel is bracing (even with thin timber) every 30-40cm might be appropriate. And be careful how much weight of scenery you end up putting on top, of course.
I found the problem with styrene sheet was that track pins did not hold point work laterally and points could be moved sideways by the action of the point motor (before ballasting). Properly supported sundeala seems more robust. Has anyone tried plaster board (drywall)?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #12
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

Plasterboard is totally unsuitable, it is brittle, would need a lot of support battens, doesn't hold fixings very well and nails and screws will go rusty as the plaster will absorb moisture....extruded poly sheet is a serious fire risk as proven by Grenfell Tower.......9mm ply is the best all rounder for rigidity, easy to fix to and cut to size.....why would you use anything else?...................HB
Old 07-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #13
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

Sundeala <spit> only useful for notice boards!

Richard
Old 07-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
Rog (RJ)
Super Duper Moderator

Rog (RJ) is on a distinguished road

As the op hasn't replied to this thread since his first visit, I think we should consider this matter closed until he does re-visit.

Rog (RJ)

Last edited by Rog (RJ); 07-12-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Closed Thread