Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 09-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
Clive192

Clive192 is on a distinguished road
Default Peco point motor and baseboard thickness

Hi all

Iím in the process of building a shed for my model rail layout ready for my retirement.

Iím in the layout design and planning stage for the baseboards and track plans.

Does anyone know the length of the pin on a peco point motor? I want to mount them under the boards and am trying to work out the best thickness for the ply top.

Regards
Clive
Clive192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Hi Clive and welcome to the forum. Most people seem to go for either 6mm or 9mm thick boarding as a base but this could be reduced on higher levels with supports. I am sure the point motor rods will be more than long enough to go through them as they are a very popular fitting. Don't forget you might have underlay to take in to account as well.

This is actually a very good article on the subject that you might find interesting:

https://www.buffersmodelrailways.com...ointmotors.pdf

Last edited by Bunkerbarge; 09-08-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Hello Clive - and welcome. I went for 9mm which is fine for Peco motor pins and better if you are pinning your track down. I understand that most track pins will poke through 6mm and would need nipping off. R-
Old 09-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

The Peco PL-10E point motor has an extended pin. I have 9mm ply tops and I still had to cut almost an inch off the pin. When cutting the pin with a pair of side-cutters, be very careful as the cut pin will come away like a bullet. I have found once the side-cutter is in position if you drop a duster or handkerchief over the pin it doesn't go anywhere - and you know where the cut-off piece is! BB

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 09-08-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
SteamnutKR

SteamnutKR is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum! It may sound a bit silly ( I've got medals for that!). but have you thought about putting as many as possible of these point motors above the baseboard? I won't see 87 again, & although pretty fit for my age, getting under the BB,with a soldering iron, or trying to hold slipping bifocals in position long enough to get a fine piece of wire through a tiny hole, then secure it with pliers which are almost, but never quite within reach....... Oooohh,!!
My back!! It's amazing how many small huts there are around railway yards,
stations, etc. the foregoing is just a thought, but you are talking about retirement, which means advancing years , possibly a house move in XX years time. Take these things into account now, You'LL reap benefits later. Best of luck!!
SteamnutKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Rog (RJ)
Super Duper Moderator ;-)

Rog (RJ) is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamnutKR View Post
Welcome to the forum! It may sound a bit silly ( I've got medals for that!). but have you thought about putting as many as possible of these point motors above the baseboard? I won't see 87 again, & although pretty fit for my age, getting under the BB,with a soldering iron, or trying to hold slipping bifocals in position long enough to get a fine piece of wire through a tiny hole, then secure it with pliers which are almost, but never quite within reach....... Oooohh,!!
Surely, you solder bigger, longer wires to the point before you put the point in place.

Rog (RJ)
Rog (RJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Thatís far too obvious Rog.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

I agree with Rog and SteamnutKR!
Underboard fitting I pre solder lengths of wire onto the motors terminals on the workbench, then fit motor. Wires can be short say 4 to 6 inches and terminate into a row of terminal block connectors, then onward to control panel or levers etc.
Surface mount point motors like the Peco PL11, Hornby R8243 or the newish Gaugemaster PM20 are easy to use and are not hidden as they fit alongside the point and no underboard fixing is needed (except the wires)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
Clive192

Clive192 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all the replies.

It looks like 9mm tops with Peco PL10E motors.

Richard, that link was useful not just for the information but because they are about a 15 mins drive from my new home :-)

I’ll minimise the time spent under the boards by doing as much “pre wiring” before installation as I think I’ll end up with about 40 to 50 to do :-(

Regards
Clive
Clive192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive192 View Post

Richard, that link was useful not just for the information but because they are about a 15 mins drive from my new home :-)

That was lucky. You really cannot beat going along and having a look around and a chat.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote