Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 12-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #21
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks Steve - further ideas. I find with Wykeham, that although it is twenty seven feet from end to end, it takes a matter of seconds to go from one end to the other - and that is at a fairly low speed. In some ways this is why a "roundy" makes sense - you can have some movement on your layout, while perhaps doing something else - shunting in a yard for example. Barry
Old 12-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #22
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

That’s why I have two circuits. While I’m moving locos on shed or forming goods trains two trains are chugging round. Keeps me amused
Old 12-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #23
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Similar length to ‘Low Ghyll’ - including the 4’ traverser at one end. In fact, as I have said before, as it runs around the shed there is a gap for the door so the ends are only about 3’ apart. I can just about get two locos running at the same time, but it takes a bit of concentration to get right.
Fortunately, my N gauge layout is a roundy-round so I get the best of both worlds.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #24
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
... this is why a "roundy" makes sense - you can have some movement on your layout, while perhaps doing something else - shunting in a yard for example. Barry
I understand what you mean Barry, but with such a small layout my (very slow running) trains went around the outside loop in about 12 seconds. I could put nothing of any great length on there else the driver could see his guards van.

With two running loops I found that the 2 inside sidings were only accessible via a R1 curve (if they were to stay away from the inner running loop) and the outside siding came onto the outer loop, so timing was critical and many a nerve was strained! I found that I would set two moderately long trains running and go and do something else.

R-
Old 12-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #25
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Rog, are you having a re-think, it would be interesting to see, of all posters percentage, end to end, as opposed to full circuit. Dont like the roundy roundy expression. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #26
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

It really depends how much width you have to play with doesn’t it. End to end only need a couple of feet.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #27
yelrow

i cant get my head round end to end, although i accept if space is an issue, it may be the only way. When you start the hobby, by buying a set for example, nobody sells an end to end set. Hence my 2 tier idea. Admittedly, i have masses of space, but my layout, is in the centre of the room, 3 tiers high.john
Old 12-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #28
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
i cant get my head round end to end, although i accept if space is an issue, it may be the only way. When you start the hobby, by buying a set for example, nobody sells an end to end set. Hence my 2 tier idea. Admittedly, i have masses of space, but my layout, is in the centre of the room, 3 tiers high.john
Hi John - Multi level would be difficult with an operating surface 10x2. Roger operates 00 gauge. If you only have a small area, and I consider my dedicated room which is 10x7 to be small. If you want reasonable curves at each end of your layout, the curves have to start well before you get to the end of the room, therefore reducing the straight sections. I can just about cope with three-coach trains, anything longer would be too long. Barry
Old 12-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #29
yelrow

Hi, Barry,yup , but would it not be possible to have your end to end on second tier. That way layouts are not connected but you can choose which one to play with. mine is DC on bottom level, DCC ,on first level, and 3 rail, oo,tt, and N on top. John
Old 12-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #30
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Rog, are you having a re-think...
No. I fancy something different, for me anyway. If it's no good I'll give it to the local club and take up knitting. R-