Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road
Default Could this be a new project for 2018???????

The Mini shown in the pictures below has been sitting in my garage for twenty seven years!
It was first registered on the 28th July 1971 and my father-in-law bought it in September 1976 for his wife. She used it now and again, and on the 3rd February 1991 she gave it to my sons. It had 27K miles on the clock, and at that time was a Mini Clubman Estate. I should add that my sons were not old enough to drive at that time.
It failed its MOT on a rusty sill and a brake pipe. These items were repaired and MOT obtained. My sons decided to take it apart – which they did - every nut and bolt!. In about 1999 it was taken on a trailer to the local Rover/Leyland dealer’s bodyshop, where everything in front of the bulkhead was cut off, and new genuine “mini” panels were attached – A panels, new wings, inner wings, bonnet, in fact everything that was required to turn it into a Mini Countryman Estate. It came back and was sprayed (in my garage) BMW Red. Everything that came off the car is currently “in” the car. The engine is sitting on blocks at the back of the car – there is also an MG Metro Turbo engine that was supposed to have been installed – it is a direct replacement. Since that time it has just sat there. Many years ago I bought it off my sons as a retirement project, but other things have taken my time.
So the time has come to either “have a go” or let it go (sell it) to someone who will rebuild it. The body has no rust and is as solid as a rock. I have added some photo’s as it is today, and the last picture from a mini magazine is what it could look like. Big decision to be made – the wife wants it gone!

https://flic.kr/p/DySSAD
https://flic.kr/p/Jh6sAc
https://flic.kr/p/DySU8B
https://flic.kr/p/23dH6Wg

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 05-01-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Bulleidboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:35 PM   #2
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Go for it Barry. Let me know when you are going to start selling your layout
Old 05-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Oh Barry, dont you think you are a little old for crawling around under an old car in a cold garage?
No. Neither do I.

Have you ever done anything similar before? It can become quite obsessive and I wouldnt want your layout to suffer.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #4
IndoBob

IndoBob is on a distinguished road

Quite a few years ago I bought 3 old mini wrecks and rebuilt them into one roadworthy car. I offered it to my son who rejected it, until he took it for a drive. He had it for some years, until his lack of maintenance resulted in some failure. Rebuilding an iconic car can be great fun but it will take away your time for your model railway.

Go for it.
IndoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 AM   #5
ians

ians is on a distinguished road

If you sell it then the proceeds could fund an awful lot of new (to you) train 'stuff'
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Bulleidboy

Thanks for the useful comments. I think it will probably go. I'll leave it until the spring and clear out all the rubbish that's inside and then assess the situation. A colleague who is a mini "nut" say the body shell could be worth 2k as it's no longer available - you can buy a brand new mini body shell for about 5K. If the car had had the engine installed it might have improved the motivation. In answer to Steve's question "have you done this before" the answer would be not a complete restoration, but I've had engines and gearboxes out and back - but I was a bit younger.

My pride and joy some years ago was the car that Ford should have built - a Ford Cortina 3000E Estate. This is the one I had converted - 3-litre V6, 5-speed gearbox, gas filled shock absorbers and a new differential - it went like a rocket. 50% power increase over the standard 2000E - biggest regret was not fitting the Ford Triple Weber carb. conversion that would have increaed the power to 200bhp.

https://flic.kr/p/DzX1ti

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 06-01-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Bulleidboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

Yes, but two things. Anything BMW on a real mini is sacrilege, including the colour. ARG Flame red is nice anyway. Metro turbo engines are best left in Metro turbos and aren't as straight a swap as you think e.g. a little side mounted rad is not going to cool a turbo!
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
platelayer

platelayer is on a distinguished road

Nice, I fitted a 2.5 ltr Essex V6 into my MK2 Transit. It quickly developed a knock my mate assured me the engine was a "good un" when he sold it to me, so i found myself a 3ltr engine and C3 auto box and fitted that instead.
Currently working on a 1967 Mustang that originally had straight six engine and now i have fitted it with a V8

Last edited by platelayer; 06-01-2018 at 03:57 PM.
platelayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Back in the early 70s Barry i worked for a BMC agent and did many bodyshell swaps inc minis, maxis, MGs, Allegros, Marinas. With an apprentice to help we stripped a mini and transferred all the parts into a new shell, started at 8-30am and had it running before clocking off time at 5-30pm. If you do have a go i wish you all the best and enjoy it.
brian1951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
Bulleidboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
Yes, but two things. Anything BMW on a real mini is sacrilege, including the colour. ARG Flame red is nice anyway. Metro turbo engines are best left in Metro turbos and aren't as straight a swap as you think e.g. a little side mounted rad is not going to cool a turbo!
The mini estate in my garage will take the front radiator, and the bulkhead cross member was cut away and a purpose built box section was seam welded in place, especially for the Turbo engine. The near side inner wing is solid sheet - no vents - although I do have a genuine vented inner panel.