Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road
Default Boxes and couplings

I wasn't sure where to post this so I've done so here. Moderators please move it to the correct place if it is wrong.

I've quite a lot of locos, coaches and wagons that are still with their original boxes which are in 'nearly new' condition (the boxes as well as the contents).

How do people store their boxes when their setup is loaded with the trains etc? Do they collapse them or do the have a very large cupboard or set of big boxes to keep them in?

I do also have a number without boxes so they don't present a problem.

Second question: I've a large number of coaches and wagons with very old style "Tri-ang" couplings as well as a few with various other styles. Should I just leave the old 'Tri-ang" ones as is or should I try to remove them (looks difficult) and fit more modern Hornby style ones (like the majority of my stock)? Or should I just make trains and 'consists' from each type? I can see how to change a few to the more modern type should I use them as converter wagons?

The are all 00 scale.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
dtb
9C Macclesfield

dtb is on a distinguished road

I keep my loco, coach and wagon boxes in larger storage boxes, this includes any empty boxes or ones with stock still in them.

The couplings though some may be easier to convert than others, in my opinion I would leave as they are and match and run your stock accordingly.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I remove all of my stock from their boxes never to enter them again unless I sell something or, heaven forbid, move house.

I store the loco boxes in cardboard storage boxes, about 12 large boxes to a box and of course more smaller boxes. These are kept under the layout.

Wagon and coach boxes are in what ever I can find and kept in the loft.

Locos not on the layout are in display cabinets and rolling stock in stock boxes that hold about 8 coaches or 20 ish wagons.

Couplings. I have changed them all to modern narrow versions if necessary.

Last edited by Walkingthedog; 05-01-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Walkingthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
ians
Talkative Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb View Post
I keep my loco, coach and wagon boxes in larger storage boxes, this includes any empty boxes or ones with stock still in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
I remove all of my stock from their boxes never to enter them again unless I sell something or, heaven forbid, move house.

I store the loco boxes in cardboard storage boxes, about 12 large boxes to a box and of course more smaller boxes. These are kept under the layout.

Wagon and coach boxes are in what ever I can find and kept in the loft.
This is what I thought may be the reply. Unfortunately storage in the loft is not an option. Ah well, Aldi have some 'underbed' boxes on offer at present, so it looks like a trip to the shops is on the cards for tomorrow.

The couplings advice is also what I thought may happen with some going for full conversion others saying leave them as they are. Thank you for the advice

I'll convert the easy conversions and leave the rest 'as is' until I have a problem.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Itís only the wagon boxes in the loft. Loco boxes under the layout in the train room better know as the ex spare bedroom.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #6
ians
Talkative Member

At the moment I've been transferring everything from upstairs (1st floor) to the garage where the layout will eventually reside. We have had loft insulation installed with the installers from British Gas saying not to put anything above it (all flooring had to be removed too) so apart from I can't get up there physically it is a 'no-no' to use the loft space.

I'm still trying to decide the actual routing of the layout on the baseboards I've got and in the space I've got. It looks like I will have 7x 4'x3' boards joined to make a 21'x4' long board with a little area offshoot of 3'x2'6" and/or a 4'x3' with a chunk cut out along one of the 4' edges. It's these last two that are causing the most thought on use.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
Silvernovice

Silvernovice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
the installers from British Gas saying not to put anything above it .
Did they say why?

Peter
Silvernovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

What a terrible waste of space. I'd most certainly put a couple of boards up there.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
LC&DR
Goods Shunter (retired)

LC&DR is on a distinguished road

All my OO stock is kept in original boxes if I have them, or in cardboard trays (once used for a dozen cat food or baked bean tins) if not, and these are then kept in the large cardboard fruit trays got free from supermarkets. The boxes for the stock out on the layout go back into the cardboard supermarket trays but I try and keep empty and full boxes segregated. Some kit built multiple units are in plastic 'Useful Boxes' with cardboard dividers. These hold four coaches nicely side by side. All stock not on the layout lives in my loft which is boarded out and insulated (above AND below) either on metal shelving or in stacks on the reinforced floor (9x3 timber floor joists with chipboard surface) .

Gauge O tinplate stuff is in large plastic "Useful boxes" and as far as possible in cardboard boxes, many of which are reproduction Hornby boxes from HRCA sources . (A few original boxes also)

Last edited by LC&DR; 06-01-2018 at 09:56 AM.
LC&DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian I like most people have insulation in the loft. Over the last 20 years this stuff has tendered to become a very thick layer not like the 6" thick stuff we put down years ago. Last time I had a loft done it was about 2' ft thick, But I still cleared a space and put down some boards for storage. I would ask the installers if you can find them why they said dont store above.
( Doubt it was British Gas as most of the time they just sub contract out their work.) Yes even lot of their plumbers dont work for British Gas when you think they do. Nothing is what it seems these days.
Nicely painted vans though. Ask them why they said not to store above it. Sounds like advice going to overkill to me.
I store stuff over my insulation always have done. But not model railway stock as it is a terrible place to keep locos and rolling stock or anything that will be damaged with excess of heat and cold or damp. The loft is not very nice place, unless you do a proper loft room conversion job.

Last edited by Footplate1947; 06-01-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Footplate1947 is offline   Reply With Quote