Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #21
RFS

RFS is on a distinguished road

Then there's the problem of pre-ordering new models, and 6-12 months later finding them going for considerably less.

For example, I bought a pair of Hornby S15s for around 125 when they first became available. Now they're available for 79.

Also 2-HALs for 109 and now they can be had for 60 or thereabouts.

Whether you pre-order or not is becoming a bit of a lottery if you're looking to get good models at "reasonable" prices!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #22
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

That can happen also with limited editions. One could buy a loco for a fair amount more then a standard version and a year down the line find many still in the shop selling for much less then the standard version as they were struggling to sell.
It is a bit of a gamble.
I once saw a super detailed Triang Hymek that had a complete rebuild with Ultrascale wheels, flush glaze windows. Everything was done that could be. It sold for about the same as a standard used Triang version (Less then a pristine one) as modellers wanted the Heljan versions instead. Before the Heljan version came out the Triang upgraded Hymek would have been worth a fair bit.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #23
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

i am reminded of attending an auction, many years ago, of retirement sale of convenience store. People were bidding more than the marked prices, on the boxes of chocolates. I spoke to the auctioneer, about it, at the end. Its an ego thing, he said, once you have started bidding, you must have the item. As for new models, i am afraid, i find no hornby or bachmann ones, worth the money, now demanded, nor do they have the ( i must have one of these, ) factor. I was excited to receive my TTS, and Locksound locos, but they now pale totally into insignificance, having received and run my MTH GE ES44AC, diesel. The sound quality and functions of these us locos, is excellent. Plus the fact, it operates in full sound, on DC. I have also learnt today, that i can buy the 3 rail version, and simply throw a switch to revert it. The point i am making, is that the ebay prices of these limited supply, and inferior features, locos, is now, fast approaching the price of in my view, superior quality locos from overseas. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #24
dtb
9C Macclesfield

dtb is on a distinguished road

just noticed this, a hugely popular ebay seller has a 'buy it now' Bachmann Class 25 for 89.50 + post, the loco is used and unboxed. The same loco brand new from an online retailer is selling at 82.46 + post. I know sellers have to cover fee's but it still proves ebay's prices are higher and the same item can be found elsewhere cheaper.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #25
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Touch wood I've only ever had one problem as a buyer. A lady was selling the R2300 Bournemouth Belle set for a ridiculously low price - which I bought. When it arrived it was a Bournemouth Belle set, but not the one shown in the picture on ebay. A quick email and the set was returned and the payment returned. In fairness to the seller, this railway item was the only railway item amongst shoes, dresses, perfume and handbags - so she saw a picture of the Belle and thought that was it. Not a serious problem but I was annoyed at the time.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #26
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Appears you cant win according to these posts. You pre-order and get what you want at the original price. They then reduce the price so you lose out. You dont pre-order and they all sell out.

If you really want something pre-order it. If it goes down in price then hard luck.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #27
RFS

RFS is on a distinguished road

A few years ago I decided to replace my three TCS DP2X-UK decoders, because I was having problems with them, and found Lenz Standard+ decoders performed much better. At the time these decoders were selling new from several retailers for around 18-19.

I started them one at a time at 99p. The 3 decoders sold for 29, 27 and 25. I even got an email from one guy saying how pleased he was with them. In fact I've swapped a number of decoders over the years (basically replacing Hornby, Bachmann, TCS etc. for Lenz) and have always recouped what I bought them for in the first place, in some cases more.

Never understood the mentality of some of the buyers but I'm not complaining!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #28
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

If I sold things on ebay Id be a huge fan of things selling for silly prices.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #29
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

If you filter the results for sold items you often find that the really silly priced stuff doesn't actually sell.

I was looking at Bachmann 'Peaks' a couple of weeks ago. There are 3 basic models of it, the Branchline model with directional grain of wheat bulb marker lights only, the Modelzone special edition (has full directional lighting but not sure if it is DCC ready) and the new one which is DCC ready with full directional lighting etc. Only the new one comes in the ice-cube packaging.

What I noticed is that the modelzone special seems to be on for the highest price although it doesn't sell readily, but what gets me is the number of the old models being put up for what the new models go for. Looking at completed listings, mostly the old models seem to go for a lot less. So two things could be happening: 1- The seller is looking at other Bachmann peak listings and setting their price according to that or; 2- the sellers are knowingly using the discrepancy in the hope that someone buys something for a lot more than it is worth.

Caveat emptor.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #30
dtb
9C Macclesfield

dtb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
the sellers are knowingly using the discrepancy in the hope that someone buys something for a lot more than it is worth.
this is what is happening in most cases, as with the 2 examples I have already noted. Given a few minutes I could find another dozen including the Peak!

Last edited by dtb; 03-01-2018 at 01:20 PM.
dtb is offline   Reply With Quote