Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

I dont care what the percentage the poor old sellers pay. My heart bleeds for them. I nomally buy from private people not the sharks.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
I dont care what the percentage the poor old sellers pay. My heart bleeds for them. I nomally buy from private people not the sharks.
So John, All private people are ok, but business people are sharks.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Iím a private seller who makes a profit - hadnít noticed that Iíd grown a large fin on my back.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
Footplate1947

Lets just say that the so called super sellers ( or what ever they call them) with thousands on their feedback lists, I have found over the years have been the people you have to be most careful of. They are the ones where you are most likely to be ripped off by. The ones who are up to all the tricks like the pictures dont show the part which is broken off or damaged. Need I go on. I have been using the bay since it started in the mid nineties when it started and have seen all the tricks of the trade over the years so dont try and tell me about E-Bay I have spent thousands on there. I am well qualified to know well. And well I know it. And it use to be a better place to deal than it is now. These day you have to be doubly careful.
Brian dont be silly of course all Private sellers are far from OK but a lot of the business are very dodgy indeed. But over the years you get to know a lot of them and I have even made friends with some as well and they have become trusted sellers. All I will say is I get most good deals from Private sellers than I have achieved from the rip off dealers over the years.
I do have a few dealers who I buy from often and I trust them but I am very careful with most. Had my fingers burnt too often buy them.

Last edited by Footplate1947; 02-01-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Footplate1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #15
Footplate1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Iím a private seller who makes a profit - hadnít noticed that Iíd grown a large fin on my back.
Whats your feedback steve. If it is 100% I would look at your ad. If not I would be careful. And that goes for any seller on the bay. Private or otherwise.
One thing I will say is I have noticed over the last couple of years that Business Sellers often dont reply to questions and if they do some are very rude.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #16
Steve M
Contrarian

John, my feedback score is currently 100%, it did slip to 99.9% last year when a buyer ripped me off by claiming non-delivery and then gave me negative feedback. Shame really as it turned out he had a track record of similar behaviour to other sellers over the last two years.
So there are some buyers who can be just as untrustworthy.

I always put up a full set of photos and an accurate description of all faults with close ups of the affected area if necessary. On the very odd occasion I don’t spot a fault I always give a full refund, without argument and a refund of all postage.
I pride myself on being an honest and trustworthy seller and I get plenty of repeat business as a result. I just think that without eBay and PayPal I probably wouldn’t get the same results with a postcard in the newsagents window.

So please, no more sweeping generalisations - positive or negative.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #17
terryj

terryj is on a distinguished road

try running a 1960s lambretta prices for parts on that will make your eyes water
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #18
Footplate1947

[QUOTE=Steve M;145933]John, my feedback score is currently 100%, it did slip to 99.9% last year when a buyer ripped me off by claiming non-delivery and then gave me negative feedback. Shame really as it turned out he had a track record of similar behaviour to other sellers over the last two years.
So there are some buyers who can be just as untrustworthy.

I always put up a full set of photos and an accurate description of all faults with close ups of the affected area if necessary. On the very odd occasion I donít spot a fault I always give a full refund, without argument and a refund of all postage.
I pride myself on being an honest and trustworthy seller and I get plenty of repeat business as a result. I just think that without eBay and PayPal I probably wouldnít get the same results with a postcard in the newsagents window.

O yes Steve I do realise that you have to be careful about rip off buyers as well as sellers. If I sold much I think I would always send things signed for so they cannot get away with that one. I dont have much experience on the selling side for it because I am only a buyer really. Please dont take things so personally Steve my posting was quite accurate and certainly not directed at any body on this forum. So just take it as it is intended please and that was not directed at any person on here.
As you and Brian should know if you have used the bay as much as I have you should be aware that my remarks were quite factual general comments.
And nothing more than that. I am surprised you thought twice about them. You must have noticed the same things taking place over the years.
John
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #19
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure the sellers trying to sell for silly prices are the rediculous ones. The buyers who buy them are, as the more they buy them the more sellers have the opportunities to sell more.
This is the same where the manufacturers are concerned. The market for high price model railway items is sustained while modellers are prepared to buy the items at these prices. When the buyers say "Enough is enough" the markets are forced to change. True, some may become bankrupt (Nothing new in the history of our hobby there) but others see opportunities and take the baton, hence we have many model mouldings passing several hands from one company to the next over time.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 PM   #20
Steve M
Contrarian

Touch wood John, I have never had a problem with anything I have bought on eBay but maybe I have been lucky or careful (doubtful) or a bit of both.
MG you make a fair point about the buyers with deep pockets ‘encouraging’ higher prices.