Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road
Default Are "some" Ebay prices getting ridiculous?

Recently on the Hornby Forum someone was disappointed because they didn't get the new Hornby Princess - Sir William Stanier. I pre-ordered from Hornby and got one priced at 161.00 (probably cheaper elsewhere?) - I've just looked on ebay and there are four available - all Buy it Now - priced between 246 and 380 - I'm tempted to "Watch" just to see whether they sell. I see this problem getting worse with models only being produced in limited numbers. You may pay a little bit more, but if you want something you are probably going to have to pre-order, probably from the manufacturer or a major supplier - many small shops only get a very small allocation or even none at all. This posting is not a dig at ebay.

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 02-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Fundamental law of supply and demand, Barry. High demand + low supply = big price.
As you say pre-order or get stung or go without.

Mind you Im quite happy with my sale prices on eBay recently.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
growler

growler is on a distinguished road

The cheapest I have seen on eBay at 249 are for sale from a big eBay shop with minor faults ! Loco not running smooth / steps loose and so on. Can you justify paying over the odds for faults ?
growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Ebay get 14% of the sale price, unless you get a special deal, so that's added to the price...
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
growler

growler is on a distinguished road

Is that 14% eBay plus PayPal or is the 14% inc PayPal ?
growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

BB, happy new year. It is, i am afraid, true, but as usual, down to supply and demand. Look what guys are getting for the tilting APT. My lad in the states, in on holiday, now, cos of space lego. He is an ardent collector, and someone advertised for a set he had, offering 800 dollars. Made sense, to sell it. i have no problem with guys selling for what the market will bear, after all, they took the risk, by buying up these limited runs. In effect, we could do the same thing. How we solve the problem, surely, is for Hornby to recognise their duty of care to all their stockists, and give them the same opportunity to compete for sales, by a fairer allocation. Trouble being, that since the end of sale/ return,this requires them to have the capital to buy the stock. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Just Ebay i think Paypal is another 2%
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #8
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

eBay fees are 10%. PayPal fees are 3.6%
Taking advantage of eBay ‘special deals’ my last ten sales have worked out at less than 10% all in and if I had been smarter I could have got it down to about 7% in total.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
dtb
9C Macclesfield

dtb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
Recently on the Hornby Forum someone was disappointed because they didn't get the new Hornby Princess - Sir William Stanier. I pre-ordered from Hornby and got one priced at 161.00 (probably cheaper elsewhere?) - I've just looked on ebay and there are four available - all Buy it Now - priced between 246 and 380 - I'm tempted to "Watch" just to see whether they sell. I see this problem getting worse with models only being produced in limited numbers. You may pay a little bit more, but if you want something you are probably going to have to pre-order, probably from the manufacturer or a major supplier - many small shops only get a very small allocation or even none at all. This posting is not a dig at ebay.
I brought up this subject about being ripped off for the very same loco in my 'christmas is ruined' thread.

A friend and myself paid a visit to Gee Dee's last Thursday and were talking to the owner regarding the Hornby Sir William Stanier in particular and the problems surrounding it's scarcity. His allocation sold out extremely quickly within a day or two, however he continued to get phone calls from people wanting the loco but they did not just want one, they wanted multiples of the same loco!

No doubt these loco's would have ended up on ebay at an grossly inflated price which is being seen now. Ebay sellers are definitely becoming more greedy as I recently saw a Bachmann V2 for sale at 129.00 and listed as a 'rare' item. A quick check on sold items revealed the loco was selling for between 31.00 to 79.00.

There was nothing special or rare about the loco so as well as over pricing they are also lying in what they are listing.

Last edited by dtb; 02-01-2018 at 07:41 PM.
dtb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #10
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Yes I noticed that but in spite of the new year hype on behalf of the so called dealers I managed to pick up a couple of very cheap nice bargains over the the last two weeks.
I find that the bay is like the sea. Some weeks the waves are stormy and Gail force and other weeks the waters are calm.. That is the time to buy.