Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > The Real Thing

The Real Thing A place for real railway discussions.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
growler

growler is on a distinguished road
Default Plans to extend Borders Railway to Carlisle

What are your views on this ? We all would like the old lines put back from the Beeching axe but this extension really worth the investment? Personally the best solution would be extending to Hawick. From many journeys I have took in my truck delivering in the Border areas there is not much community between Hawick & Carlisle apart from Longtown. The only other reason I can see benefiting from the line reopening would be diversion for freight.
growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
What are your views on this ? We all would like the old lines put back from the Beeching axe but this extension really worth the investment? Personally the best solution would be extending to Hawick. From many journeys I have took in my truck delivering in the Border areas there is not much community between Hawick & Carlisle apart from Longtown. The only other reason I can see benefiting from the line reopening would be diversion for freight.
I go along with that and I would like to see it left like that as well. Do we have to turn the whole of Britain into one large built up area. Lets leave some of the countryside as just that. Countryside. It is a beautiful part of Britain so leave it alone. Plenty of places down south you can build on.
John
Old 02-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
Postman Prat

Postman Prat is on a distinguished road

Quote: Plenty of places down south you can build on.

But that's a fat lot of good if you want to go from Hawick to Carlisle, although I am aware you can go from Waverley to Carlisle direct via Carstairs

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
Postman Prat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
growler

growler is on a distinguished road

Just make the A7 from Hawick - Carlisle a better road with a frequent bus service and I can’t see many people who live in Newcastleton working in Edinburgh to justify reaching them, it’s a stunning place if you have never visited. Also I remembered I had to deliver from Hawick - Newcastleton and took the route of Sat-Nav which was a bad mistake but took you on the old Waverley route and the area was so isolated ! What was so much of a jaw dropper was seeing Shankend viaduct and visions of steam trains going over here.
growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #5
Footplate1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman Prat View Post
Quote: Plenty of places down south you can build on.

But that's a fat lot of good if you want to go from Hawick to Carlisle, although I am aware you can go from Waverley to Carlisle direct via Carstairs
Yes the cross country lines did suffer. The roads across country from Haywick are only slow country lanes. If some body wanted to travel from Haywick to Carlisle they would I guess have to go to Edinburgh and take train to Newcastle and then across the country again to Carlisle. Or Via Glasgow to Carlisle. There again this problem is duplicated in many parts of the country. The reason for that we must point our fingers at Beaching. But did he have a choice. I dont see that Haywick would have a large enough population to make the cost of building of a new railway viable.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road

What led to Beeching in the first case was the nature of Railway development in Britain. The companies could make more money making people travel further. It was railway company policy to promote London as a major route destination and even if you didn't want to go to London the policy was to get you to travel via London. This has all had the effect of over development round London and under development in Scotland. If you put in more Railways in Scotland, it will have the beneficial effect in the long run of taking the pressure off south east England.
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
Postman Prat

Postman Prat is on a distinguished road

Dr Beeching has, over the years, has been subject of a 'bad press'. He was hired by Marples, the Transport Minister, to make the railways profitable, nothing more, nothing less.
Ernest Marples just happened to be boss of a major road building/civil engineering company. I've often wondered about that. He sold his shares to his wife when appointed to avoid a conflict of interest (fairy story time)
No-one remembers Marples, everyone remembers Beeching

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
Postman Prat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised that the SNP would want a third rail link into England. lol.

Joking aside, there could be an element of resiliance involved. The closing of the WCML when the bridge at Lamington nearly departed into the Clyde showed just how frail some of the infrastructure is.
If all of the west coast Edinburgh voyager services diverted up there then it would release capacity too.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
dtb
9C Macclesfield

dtb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman Prat View Post
Dr Beeching has, over the years, has been subject of a 'bad press'. He was hired by Marples, the Transport Minister, to make the railways profitable, nothing more, nothing less.
Ernest Marples just happened to be boss of a major road building/civil engineering company. I've often wondered about that. He sold his shares to his wife when appointed to avoid a conflict of interest (fairy story time)
No-one remembers Marples, everyone remembers Beeching
did they both have shares in scrap metals as well?
I'm sure I have seen something recently but can't remember where.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
Footplate1947

I remember Earnest Marples very well indeed. I can see him now and remember he was one of the biggest jokes of the time on every bodies lips. He made a fortune out of us. He was just as famous as whats his name.