Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 29-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
roger oldacre

roger oldacre is on a distinguished road
Default Gov to consider reopening some rail line closed by Beaching

Is this storey just a pipe dream or reality.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...chris-grayling
roger oldacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Apparently, there was no mention of funding, surely a pipe dream?R-
Old 29-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

All the railways lines in Kent and Norfolk i have come across have Houses ect built on the land, just a diversion from the governments other problems....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

They are thinking of reopening the High Wycombe -Bourne End branch as it would link the Chiltern Line to Crossrail.

They've already opened a new line linking us directly to Oxford.
Old 29-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

It actually puzzled me that they spent money in trying to electrify the main line to Swansea in South Wales and not spend the money instead to rebuild the Carmarthen to Aberystwyth railway which as it stands at the moment, there is no possible way from south to north Wales without going miles into England and back again. The roads are a similar picture which one has lots of good roads from east to west but north to south and they are dangerous in places, and seem to head round every field along the way.
The investment to electrify the south Wales route when finished would save about ten to twenty mile Ute's at best with the journey times, yet reopening the Carmarthen to Aberystwyth route would have put better use with the funds and shaved hours off the journey time by rail. It is almost as if by road and rail, the priorities were towards making sure there are good roads and rail infrastructure to ensure MP's will reach London and back on time? It almost seems like it at times.... If someone from government in Wales or for the UK reads this, you now know where future investment priorities need to go for the benefit of not only those who live here, but for all who may occasionally have the need to travel inside Wales. (Dont get me wrong.. I'm not against the electrification project in South Wales. I just think it is a bit of a crazy plan without addressing the major gaps missing from the railways (And roads) infrastructure).
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I think they will open/reopen the lines. The Wycombe one I memtioned may well be a light railway as some of the track bed isn't available any more.
Old 29-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
Postman Prat

Postman Prat is on a distinguished road

As Tinker pointed out in many places buildings have been erected on former trackbed. It's even a problem for extending 'heritage' lines - the Severn Valley at the northern end and the Mid-Hants line at the western end, for example.

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
Postman Prat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman Prat View Post
As Tinker pointed out in many places buildings have been erected on former trackbed. It's even a problem for extending 'heritage' lines - the Severn Valley at the northern end and the Mid-Hants line at the western end, for example.
The western end of the Mid-Hants is do-able, but at a cost (isn't everything), there are no more than six houses that would need demolishing (according to Google Maps), but the major cost would be the bridge (or tunnel) crossing the M3. Not sure it would benefit many locally, there is no space at Winchester for a "branch" platform. It is very easy to follow the old route on Google Maps. Unlike lines like Swanage that are connected to the main line, where main line traffic is relatively quiet, the main line through Winchester is very busy - freight!

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 29-11-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
roger oldacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman Prat View Post
The Severn Valley were offered the tunnel north of Bridgenorth but turned it down as not being cost affective to reach Iron bridge at this present time but they also said never say never.
Old 29-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
roger oldacre

I've always thought it a farce the there isn't a direct rail link from South Wales to north wales, surely the line would be well used and would also give good access to the north west of England from South Wales.