Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 02-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Meld

Meld is on a distinguished road
Default Point motors

Can anybody tell me how to wire point motors so that I can throw two points at the same time with one switch and do I need decoders, for DCC the points are electrofrog.

Last edited by Meld; 02-10-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Meld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Hi Meld - it would be good to know what sort of point motor you are considering using. R-
Old 02-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

Hi Meld

Did you take your username from the Lima model?

Regarding point motors, you can wire them so they are both thrown by the same switch, but I don't recommend this practice. If one of the points gets stuck then the other point will still be changed and the train can be sent into a derailment at the stuck point.

Last edited by 4VEP; 02-10-2017 at 07:02 PM.
4VEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

I use Seeps and Cobalts a DPDT switch wire to the CDU for seeps and straight to the Cobalts works ok both points throw together ......
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

As usual the advice is to read the relevant sections in Brian Lambert's guide:

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk

I can't help you with DCC control for points (not worth the hassle imho) but it is is perfectly feasible to switch two or more points from one switch. First thing would be to include a CDU to give more punch.
Wire up the first point motor and switch according to the manufacturers instructions (refer to Brian's guide as necessary). Then add the second motor and daisy chain the wiring from the first motor to the second.
When you test it you may find the switching wires may need to be swapped on the second motor so they both switch in unison.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Gordon H

Gordon H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VEP View Post
Did you take your username from the Lima model?
Perhaps direct from the Deltic itself or the original racehorse ?
Gordon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

As your working with DCC a short list of the advantages of Cobalts will save you money because if you use Seeps and CDU's ect you will want to change, so the Cobalt Digital PM has 9 connections, Pins 1 and 2 you connect the DCC to i use droppes from the rails above, pin will allow LED's to show which way the points are set on a control panel, Pins 4,5 and 6 control the point frog i split the DCC droppers to poer the points and the the Frog, Pins 7,8 and 9 control the point throwing , so a switch on a control panel along with the LED's makes for a easy to set up route, start with the Cobalt and save money....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Tinker regarding Cobalts. In fact I replaced my 20+ Seeps with Cobalts because I found that the CDU was so powerful it was damaging the Peco points by elongating the hole in the tie bar. That aside if you choose the Cobalt Digital motor it comes complete with DCC decoder so bear that in mind when looking at cost. In it's simplest form only needs 3 wires attaching, 2 to the track and one to the frog. Push in connectors so no soldering. And to cap it all they look so much more prototypical with the slow traverse against a load crack when using CDU based motors. Of course the choice is yours, check out some videos on you tube to see the difference on their qualities and installation.

Edit: Just realised I didn't address your question. Of course with DCC you can give 2 (or more) accessory decoders the same address. Be careful if you go down the solenoid motor route that you may need to feed each point from a separate CDU output. Some, like the ADS range will fire 2 OK but not all.

Last edited by Teedoubleudee; 02-10-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Teedoubleudee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Meld

Meld is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody, I took my username from the Deltic one of my favourite loco's.
The motors I am using are the Peco PL-10E with the PL-13 accessory switch I have fourteen so don't really want to start changing them and I do have a couple of CDU on standby.
Thanks for all your replies very informative cheers.
Meld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Just to correct Tinkers comments on the Cobalts, or at least the currently available Digital IP versions, the third connection is for the frog, it takes its power from the dcc power connections made to the first and second terminals. The rest of the connections I have not yet used on any I have installed; the fourth and fifth terminals are the switched output of the sixth terminal (which you could as Tinker has done use to power the frog but seems to be an unnecessary need for two further dcc supply connections). Rather they would be of better use in automating, for example, colour light signalling to some extent. The seventh to ninth are the switch connections as Tinker has set out and in typical style of DCC Concepts products in my experience a serious weak aspect of the design as no powered wires should be connected to them as that will cause serious damage. As a result Cobalts are provided with a sticker over those connections but I cannot help thinking they would be better either sited somewhere else or the circuity resigned to overcome the potential serious damage arising. If your baseboards are not that deep they make a set of ninety degree adapters that bolt onto the end of the Cobalt; not that easy to fit for the simple reason the supplied washers are too big (or the holes in the adapters that are drilled slightly in the wrong place). The solution is either to file the holes wider or, more easily provided you have a nice chunky set of end cutters chop the washers down to a D shape. The end cutters I have are also very useful for chopping off the drive rod protruding above the point.

Last edited by Mike Parkes; 03-10-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote