Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Old 31-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
gpt

gpt is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Has this been done? Folding baseboard?

I have attached a quick sketch.

Without getting too in depth, has this been done?

I found the following thread, http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/s...ead.php?t=4355

which discussed a folding board and butting up tracks. Aside from the complications with other electronics, has anyone successfully done this?

I'm thinking about ideas for portability? If anyone has any or would like to point me in a direction, feel free :-) if you gave read another thread of mine I'm very new to this so I'm not looking for anything too in depth. Things like this will just affect my initial track design at this point.

Thanks

Pete

(also just realising the flaws in the folding on my drawing, but again the principle is there..)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170831_193840.jpg (899.4 KB, 38 views)
gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

Brian Lambert's site is full of info......... http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Hints%20&%20Tips.html ...........HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
gpt

gpt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link cadman! :-)
gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #4
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

There's a bloke online who supplies folding baseboards built to customer specifications.

http://www.classicbaseboards.co.uk/joomla253/
Old 31-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #5
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to fathom your design from the PIC you supplied. Two things to be aware of. The first is that it folds in such a way that the rails dont touch so it should either fold away from each other so the rails part and the baseboard underneath is on the inside (Does not protect the scenery but exposes it) or it needs to fold inwards but the hinges need to be placed at a height to prevent the railheads from hitting each other.
The second issue is more about weight.

Are you considering portability for possible exhibition use or just to store away when in the house?
If to store away when in the house then the drop down table principle will work but it exposes the scenery somewhat. Fold up instead protects scenery if the hinges are raised to prevent fowling, but one needs high ceilings! Wheels are a good idea for this idea to move boards from room to room.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:05 AM   #6
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I've made mine to be portable and small so it fits in a boot of an old type of car. It is the old saloon design and though it is roomy in length and width it does not have a good height. I made the boards smaller then what could fit in my car in case I change cars in the future as there is nothing worse then a layout being finished after hours of work only to find your old car has gone beyond economical repair. We all hope our transport will last forever!

Be aware my layout was made from scraps of wood so may not look ideal. Also be aware it is small. When erected it is 7ft X 2ft.

One does not realise how heavy layout boards can be until one starts adding scenery and extras. I started out holding the boards for the top and thinking they are not too bad. Then after adding the frames and legs which are built to be light, I thought its getting heavy enough and I've no scenery yet! So bear weight in mind, but also consider durability. Will it take knocks which no matter how careful one is, they do get bashed around a bit!

I hope this helps whichever design you use. I was going to fold mine in on itself but it is a bit too heavy to carry as a single unit so I opted for two separate boards with hinged foldable legs with the second board on the left relying on the first board to be erected first as the second board only needs one pair of legs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170417_161035.jpg (689.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170417_161046.jpg (638.9 KB, 19 views)
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote