Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics

Old 11-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Glad its helps and never worry about asking questions. Its how we learn and are helped not to make too many mistakes.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #12
Meld

Meld is on a distinguished road

I am having a little trouble with some Peco PL10 point motors 17 all together three work great and the rest vary between working for about 4 switches then on the 5th nothing
two will only throw one way, all the pins are central to the motor they are all perpendicular to the track I did make a tool to centralize everything I am fairly sure they are fitted correctly but obviously something is wrong, four of them are crossovers so you get the situation where only one point switches when it should be both, not good. When you move the bar with your finger they change no problem no tightness or obstruction.
Meld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #13
Flashbang
Administrator

What size wire is used to feed them and for their return?
What power supply is used? 16v AC at 1.0Amp minimum is the recommended output for solenoids.
I recommend the minimum wire size for operation feeds is 16/0.2mm equipment wire while a return wire should be a larger wire size where two or more motors move at once. 32/0.2mm or doubled up 16/0.2mm is ideal.
Are you using a CDU?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #14
Meld

I am using 16/02 it's the triple wire that Gaugemaster sell for point motors, not using a CDU all connected to a mega points mimic panel which moves the motors on the cross overs one after another but so fast you would think it was at the same time. Using 16V 1.5 amp transformer it's a H & M Clipper.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #15
Flashbang
Administrator

Initially try dropping a problem motor off from the baseboard and point. Then test it in free air. Does it 'Pop' over and back? If it does its likely the motor is binding slightly on the point, or isn't positioned quite square. If all is free and proved to be so, then I suspect the wiring is not 100% somewhere or the Mega controller is working too quickly. Can it be slowed between each of its output operations? Sorry I don't have much detail re Mega controllers.

Edit... Just been reading the Mega points solenoid driver manual. They specify.. Power should be from a 2 Amp AC or DC power supply or transformer between 12 to 24 volts with
16 volts A/C being the sweet spot.
Your H&M Clipper is only capable of providing 16v AC at 1.0Amp (Or mine is!) This lack of current may be the cause??

Also found... Prog PWR jumper
Placing the jumper into the “PWR” terminals activates the UP and DOWN buttons to adjust the
power setting. This is set across the entire board. Power is controlled in five steps from 10 ms to 50ms in 10 ms increments. As the UP and DOWN buttons are pressed the power setting is flashed out on the PWR LED.
Have you increased this at all? It may be worth trying a longer time setting?

Last edited by Flashbang; 02-12-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Edit to add new text
Flashbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
Meld

I am beginning to think it may be a power problem, think I will wire up the points on their own and see if they work better, perhaps my transformer is not up to the job I am using the one transformer to run the two solenoid power boards, can anybody recommend a good powerful transformer at least 2 amps.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #17
Meld

Well I wired up one of my problem points directly to my Hornby Elite and it worked perfectly firing in both directions time after time without any hesitation, so at least I am now sure it is fitted to layout correctly and wired up correctly so it has got to be my 1 amp transformer not having enough power, I have ordered a 2.5 amp transformer but it is still to arrive. I must admit I feel that I am talking to myself at the moment everybody seems to have disappeared, got bored I suppose.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #18
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meld View Post
.................. I must admit I feel that I am talking to myself at the moment everybody seems to have disappeared, got bored I suppose.
It's a busy time of year for everyone so don't be disappointed if you don't always get a reply straight away. You seem to have found the problem so just update us when you get your new power supply and if it fixes your problem.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #19
Flashbang
Administrator

A larger current power supply used with the Mega unit should resolve the problem as per their manual text I posted in #15 above.
Old 16-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #20
Meld

Well my 2.5 amp transformer has arrived, all wired up and it all works beautifully, it solved all the problems I was having, thanks for all the advice.
I can now start driving my trains with a piece of mind knowing the points have thrown in the correct position.