Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Old 15-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #21
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Hello James guess you are planning 4ft square at each end
(or is it a metre, quite different)
OK you have 5ft x2ft length joining the two. Is that right. In my opinion that is unworkable if you are intending anything like a station on the middle section.
Your turn around at the ends are going to tight to get any straight track (or near it on the middle section.) Take it you do mean oo guage and not N.
John
Old 15-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #22
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
Hello James guess you are planning 4ft square at each end
Yes, a four foot square, I had to measure it to be sure

Quote:
OK you have 5ft x2ft length joining the two. Is that right. In my opinion that is unworkable if you are intending anything like a station on the middle section.
Well it was intended to be 5ft but it is a foot less, 4ft by 2ft wide (5ft made the whole thing too big), yes I was intending a station there. Now that I have made that middle bit even smaller, there is even less room. My trains will have no where to stop

Quote:
Your turn around at the ends are going to tight to get any straight track (or near it on the middle section.) Take it you do mean oo guage and not N.
John
I was hoping to use the set-track curves that came with the freight sets. I think that they just make a comfortable circle on the four foot square. Couldn't I have a non-straight station?
Yes it is OO gauge.
A BTW question did/does the railway have any automatic points operations, that is operated by the weight/movement of the loco/carriages?
Jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #23
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijj View Post
A BTW question did/does the railway have any automatic points operations, that is operated by the weight/movement of the loco/carriages?
Jim.
Yes. On the single lines of the West Highland and Far North lines where there are passing loops or stations.
There are probably more elsewhere.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #24
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Hi James yes of course you could have a curved station
(Stations are very rarely ever straight in the real world.) but what worries me is how much you will have left after turning back from the end 4ft runaround into the middle straight section. May I suggest that you add two small boards cutting the corners to the middle section helping you turn the track back into the middle straight.
Good idea is to get out some track from the sets and lay it out on the boards and see what it looks like. Very often getting some track down is the best way to size things up. But you have probably have sussed that already.
John
Old 15-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #25
mijj

Thanks for that Bazil. It makes sense but opens up the unreliability of the line to some degree I suppose.
Jim.
Old 15-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #26
mijj

@John
Thanks for that, a useful input. The reason I chose to put the two squares, one at each end, was because it seemed ok on our dining room table (no, I do not think the authorities were pleased ). I will try it again in a moment and have brought the loco sets in the house to determine, if I can, what rails are included. It looks as if they each have mostly 3rd radius double curves and one 2nd radius curve. They do have two double and two single straights etc. I just remembered that the table wasn't wide enough and I used the ply instead. I am not sure this is going to work......
I have just laid them out and included a photo below. The tape measure shows the maximum of 4ft but on the table it is only 2ft, I'll have to get a larger dining room . Yes I will have to fill in the corners on the straight bit to allow the rails to complete the circle and to exit onto the straight. I will fiddle some more tomorrow.
jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout temporary.jpg (58.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 16-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #27
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijj View Post
Thanks for that Bazil. It makes sense but opens up the unreliability of the line to some degree I suppose.
Jim.
Not really, I think they are quite low tech mechanical affairs.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #28
mijj

Thanks Bazil.
To better envisage the baseboard and its layout fully I put it on the back garden grass using the 5mm ply that I'd cut before going to the thicker stuff as advised here. I probably didn't see the length of coaches as I only have freight thingies. Passenger coaches are much longer now I think about it, so how long is 3/4 passenger coaches? Can I fit a train of those in a 4ft platform? What about a curved platform, 3rd radius as in Hornby?

I had to take things out side as I am still insulating the floor with 3/4" hardwood ply. Then I have carpet to make it even warmer. The 2ft wide centrepiece has the 4ft length showing.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout size.jpg (92.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg layout on grass.jpg (94.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 30-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #29
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

I've not been a regular poster here but have followed this thread.
I would suggest also using one of the many track layout planning programs.
I produced this quickly on AnyRail using a 4ft by 12ft board

http://prntscr.com/grmokk

I used 2nd radius curves and straights only. The geometry means it won't quite fit so I used a couple of 1/4 straights too.

Using software on a PC or Laptop can help with ideas to see if they might work (or won't).

Your dimensions don't leave much wiggle room for other features than shown unless you can go multi-dimension and include an elevated section.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #30
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

The operator's opening doesn't have to have square corners.......just add a triangle of baseboard to allow space for the curves.......HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote