Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #51
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I make sure there a no gaps. Plenty of glue and hold the roof firmly in place until the glue has cured. I put paper on the roof then hold it down with masking tape stuck to the what ever the building is standing on.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #52
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Also with the roof, you can cover the Metcalfe Roof with a Redutex slate roof - it has texture, a peel-off back, and can be folded over the ridge. Steve M introduced me to this, but it is hard to find at the moment. It is made in Spain by a wall/floor tile manufacturer. DCC Concepts had a good range, but the last time I looked most items were sold out. If you Google "Ridge Tiles" there is a good range of quite fancy versions in brick red, again better than you get from Metcalfe. No dig at Metcalfe intended, I have a number of their kits and find them first class, but you can enhance the finished version with a bit of care.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #53
The Duke

The Duke is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had a go at a Metcalfe coal merchants hut I got with a magazine a few weeks ago but gave up (for now) out of a lot of frustration. I got the Roket rapid glue thinking, as it claims to stick in 5 to 10 seconds, that it would be ok that I didn’t have anything to use as clamps, like clothes pegs. First thing was to stick the windows to the inside card bits. The glue just wouldn’t stick! It was sucked into the card in no time plus pressing the bits tightly together did nothing. Ok, let’s try applying glue to both surfaces as some glues require. Nope, nothing. This wasn’t helped by my increasingly shaking hands.it looks like the squares of plastic that the windows are printed on are exactly the same size as the card of similar shape but it isn’t so positioning was difficult for me. By the time I cut out the walls and stablising cards, the windows should have been stuck since the claims are that it takes 5-10 seconds, and it had a good bit more by that time. Nope, only the door had stuck. Aaahh!!
I was wondering if the room temperature had anything to do with it? I was doing it in the kitchen which is Baltic right now. It tells you on the instructions to use UHU glue so I might try that.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #54
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Imho the way to fix the plastic windows to the card is either a very thin strip of double sided tape on the card then place the windows in the correct place. Or an equally thin smear of UHU on the card.
I have used both methods.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #55
The Duke

I had a look and the windows are finally stuck. That’s a lot longer than 10 seconds lol. I also looked up whether temperature affects the drying properties of glue and it does, so that’ll be why it took so long to stick. Tomorrow, I am going to work on it in the livingroom using the coffe table which I should have done in the first place. I’ll have to get some clothes pegs to use as clamps.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #56
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Metcalfe kits are a doddle as are Superquick. I have built a lot. Just take your time, there is no rush, nobody is waiting to move in.

I use PVA and UHU. You need selotape and plenty of clamps such as bulldog clips.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #57
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

I found the same prob with Roket glue. If I had a second go then it stuck fine. I agree, it seems to soak into card and then dry almost instantly. I now mostly use UHU except it tends to string. The better halves clothes pegs are used to hold bits together as well as those miniature bulldog clips.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #58
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

You need to use the little glue applicating bottles sold by Metcalfe. Other versions are available.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #59
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Metcalfe kits are a doddle as are Superquick. I have built a lot. Just take your time, there is no rush, nobody is waiting to move in.

I use PVA and UHU. You need selotape and plenty of clamps such as bulldog clips.
Ha ha! If I make a real mess of one, I’ll just get an angry little person to stand outside it shaking his fist up at me
The little bottles are good. I got the three pack before I started.

Last edited by The Duke; 07-01-2018 at 09:51 PM.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #60
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

You really do need to take your time. When you’ve glued one part together leave it alone and either start on another bit or do something else.