Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 04-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #71
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

I know I'm very late in saying this, but if you are still doing an incline then a useful thing to have would be a loco siding near the bottom of it to store a banker.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:12 AM   #72
Hound Dog

Hound Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing the videos - the layout is coming along great.........very relieved to learn that I was not the only one who had spent the past 3 months messing around with point motors and frog switching etc - LOL
Hound Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #73
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Some does and don't when using a banking loco, if you don't remove the coupling the banking loco becomes part of the train and will require some sort of uncoupling means at the top pf the incline, if the coupling is removed you can only bank a train on straight track any curve will result in the buffers interlocking and a derailment will result. The real thing happened regularly from White City to Willesden High Level a coupe of miles with 4 signal boxes involved and the banking loco not coupled to the train.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:03 AM   #74
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road

Wow. An amazing track plan, an extraordinary use of space.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #75
BigTed

BigTed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Some does and don't when using a banking loco, if you don't remove the coupling the banking loco becomes part of the train and will require some sort of uncoupling means at the top pf the incline, if the coupling is removed you can only bank a train on straight track any curve will result in the buffers interlocking and a derailment will result. The real thing happened regularly from White City to Willesden High Level a coupe of miles with 4 signal boxes involved and the banking loco not coupled to the train.
Thanks - I've been wondering about this.

My plan was to remove the coupling hooks from the banking loco (thanks for the terminology!) but not the coupler. That'll make it quicker and easier to uncouple.

When planning the upper tier I'll see if I can put a short siding in somewhere near the top so I can think about sticking an uncoupler in there so I don't have to do it manually.

Is my only option for a tension lock uncuopler one of those cheap plastic Peco ones? Do they work at speed as well as when stopping over them?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. The frog power seitchers arrived today so I've installed tham and now have, for the first time, a consistently reliable layout.

The same delivery had some ballast in it so next job is to lay ballast over areas of the track that will be hard to get to once the incline and upper deck are in place.

I had in my mind that I'd just do it manually, shove a little screwdriver in and gently lift the hook, but I'll see if I can
BigTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #76
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
Is my only option for a tension lock uncuopler one of those cheap plastic Peco ones? Do they work at speed as well as when stopping over them?
Those uncouplers work by pushing the arms of the tension locks up when the coupling is not under tension. I think it would be difficult or even impossible to uncouple it on the move even if it was only one arm.

I do wonder if there is a way to modify the bar of the banking loco so it could still be pushed up by the uncoupler. Another thought would be a small piece of plasticard over the top of the coupler bar to stop the arm dropping into it.

Last edited by Bazil; 13-01-2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: emphasising the not
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #77
BigTed

Summit!

Old 05-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #78
BigTed

As the previous post might suggest, we've made a bit of progress with the first incline of late.

I had all kinds of concerns about running an incline, mainly because the vast majority of my locos are old 70s/80s things with relatively long trains.

I'd initially planned to have a single 3% gradient incline but, aware of the potential issues, I managed to find the space to run a 2% incline.

Unable to avoid curves, I'd squeezed in two 36" 90 degree curves, the widest I could fit in.

Also, with long Class 43 and HSTs running with two motor cars in consist, I was concerned about how push / pull consists would fare on the incline.

As it happens, largely I needn't have been concerned.

Only an old Lima King George V which is slightly heavier than a sheet of A4 paper struggled. The rest handled it comfortably.

A single Class 43 (old Ringfield replaced with CD motor and ballast added) pulling a rake of 6 Lima full length Mk3s spun its wheels a bit, but got there. A similar train with consist power cars at each end, pulling 7 short Hornby Mk3s was comfortable.

So I'm happy with progress. The next step is a 3% incline with a sharper bend on it. I have some powerbase strips for that one, let's see how it goes.

Here's some video footage of trying out the incline, and accidentally driving my favourite train off it at full height.

https://youtu.be/EBdRvNtlpkY

Thanks to everyone who helped answer the various questions I asked across various threads.