Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #11
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Thicker insulation is the reason why loft floor legs were developed to rails flooring above the insulation. You lose headspace though but ideal for creating a storage platform.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #12
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

i find it incredible, that you are barred from using your own loft. I would be talking to British gas, if it were mine. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
i find it incredible, that you are barred from using your own loft. I would be talking to British gas, if it were mine. john
I suspect that what they meant was “don’t put anything on top to squash the insulation” - but it probably got lost in translation.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #14
Old shed

Old shed is on a distinguished road

My daughter and husband recently bought a new house and the builder told them not to use to loft space I asked her why they said that but she didn’t know. I suspect that it’s because the loft structure these days isn’t what it used to be
Old shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
ians

ians is on a distinguished road

The roof slope is too low to use it for a layout (I'm 6'6" tall and not agile). The advice was received and not questioned. I doubt I could find the original installers details as it was some years ago. I think the reasoning went along the lines that the insulation level is above the joists so you'd be reducing the insulation thickness if you attached floorboards directly to them. I'm not 'good with my hands' so the advice wasn't a problem as I'd not be going up often or be able to get at things more than an arms length away. Only very old carpets were up there beforehand which ended up at the tip with the help of friends who emptied the loft and the local council who collected them. At the time they collected for free
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #16
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Thicker insulation is the reason why loft floor legs were developed to rails flooring above the insulation. You lose headspace though but ideal for creating a storage platform.
This is one of the jobs for 2018 - improve loft insulation and fit loft legs - they allow 270mm of insulation to be installed, and then a storage floor fitted above. It must be made clear that when fitting loft legs you are only able to fit a storage floor, you can't put down a carpet and build your railway or whatever in your loft. There are a number of YouTube videos about installation.

Back on track, I keep all my boxes, and most if not all are in pristine condition, always use a ruler or something similar to open boxes - stops them being torn.

I find the older style couplings a bit of a pain, some can only be changed with serious chopping.

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 06-01-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #17
ians

ians is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
I find the older style couplings a bit of a pain, some can only be changed with serious chopping.
The ones I have seem to be part of the metal moulding for the chassis made of metal. The have a small gap with the hook section and the curved bit fixed in by what looks like a rivet of some kind.

I don't think they would convert very easily!
ians is offline   Reply With Quote