Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics

Old 01-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hornby surface points

hi, 2 questions. I have extended the wires on all my points but one black wire has become detached from point. I have soldered it back. How can i test point. Also, one of my extended points will not fire. I have a spare set of connected wires, going back to decoder, but dont know which is which. If i just wire up by trial and hope, can i damage anything, when i test point with Elite. thanks. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Hi
Hornby surface point motor use the following wiring colours.. Red and Green for operation and Black for the return.

For connection to a DCC accessory decoder that's set to provide a momentary pulse output connect Red and Green wires to '+' and '-' and the Black wire to 'C' of the group of three terminals.

If connecting to a lever or sprung to centre Off switch Red and Green wires go to the lever or switch. Black goes to the power supply. The other connection from the power supply goes to the lever or switches common (middle) connection. 16 volt AC is the more normal power source for solenoids and can be via a CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) if wished where levers or switches are used.

To test a point motor use a temporary 16 volt AC or 12 volt DC power supply rated at around 1.0Amp or greater current output. Often a train set controller will have these as auxiliary outputs.
After removing all the motors wires from the decoder or switch etc connect the Black wire to one of the temporary power supplies output connections. Doesnt matter which one of the two connections.
DO NOT CONNECT THE RED OR GREEN WIRES, but just dab one wire - say the Red onto and then immediately off of the other power supplies connection. Either the motor will move over or just buzz. Now do the same with the green wire, dabbing it on then immediately off of the other power supplies connection. This will cause the motor to move one way for one wire and the other way for the other wire. On no account leave the red or green connected to the supply for more than 0.5 Seconds!

If extending a solenoid motors wire I recommend the use of 16/0.2mm equipment wire for all three wires.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
yelrow

FB, thanks. My prob is i am some 6 foot from solenoid and, have 2 sets of 3 extended wires that due to losing my bit of paper, do not know which wires are which, having used other than red green and black, to extend. If i connect by trial and error, will i damage either the solenoid, or the point motor. john
Old 02-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

No damage, so long as the power is only applied for a half or less of a second - Dab On and immediately Off.

So for example connect any one wire to one terminal of the supply. Take the other free wires and individually dab each in turn On then immediately Off of the other supply terminal. Eventually by swapping around the fixed wire for each one of the other free ones you will find the correct combination where two free wires and one fixed wire cause the motor to move one way then the other way when each of the correct free wires are dabbed onto the terminal. Note: you will probably see sparks as the wires are touched and then removed from the power supply terminal, this is normal.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
yelrow

FB thanks, did not fancy lying underneath, yet, as still in recovery mode. john