Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Old 28-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road
Talking Laying track on cork

Hi HD. Been away and just read your post. I laid my track eighteen months ago - the first track I'd ever laid. I laid it straight onto my baseboard (9mm ply). This ensured that I got it absolutely flat - doubly important as I used insulfrog points. Up to now I have had no problems whatsoever. Yes there is some noise, but as other members pointed out, once the track is ballasted you get noise even if you've used cork. I'd keep it simple and lay straight to the baseboard and concentrate my efforts on precision if I was you. Hope this is helpful.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #12
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

I have used foam underlay as an experiment. If you lay it directly on the baseboard it reduces noise considerably. A noticeable benefit is it reduces the effect of track noise drowning out the sound from TTS locos.
Old 28-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VEP View Post
I have used foam underlay as an experiment. If you lay it directly on the baseboard it reduces noise considerably. A noticeable benefit is it reduces the effect of track noise drowning out the sound from TTS locos.
I agree Peco foam underlay does reduce noise considerably. The disadvantage of it is the track tends to float and can lead to distortion of points because they are not held down nice and firmly to the base board. I first used Peco foam in the 1970s so have given it a good old tryout. Over the years it also discolors in sun light and can decompose and start to fall to bits as well in sun light as well...................john.
Old 22-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #14
RSR Engineer
Artur Gorote

RSR Engineer is on a distinguished road

What you may find useful is SELIT floor underlay. My local DIY had some 1.4 mm stuff on offer and I snapped it up (I fear the full RRP would be quite meaty). SELIT is made of styrofoam backed with metallised plastic foil that peels off very easily. This is only an idea, mind, it hasn't proved itself in practice. I'm intending to use it for the hidden sidings where noise deadening isn't that important and headroom is limited.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Artur
RSR Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #15
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

What you do depends on who else you have to consider.

If you live in a flat with thin walls and ceilings or you have family that don't tolerate the noise then track straight on to plywood probably isn't going to be acceptable. If you don't have anyone to annoy or just don't give a monkeys then plywood is the best way.

I've used Woodland Scenics track bed, it works fine and there is no problem with the points. I'll post if and when it degrades but the reviews I've read from America suggest that it'll go for years before degrading, it does seem a lot more robust than the foam bases of the past. It is very quiet but I haven't ballasted and I don't intend to.

Last edited by Bazil; 22-01-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: clarified it as being plywood in 2nd para
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #16
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I still think the best underlay for track is without any doubt plywood.