Old 30-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #31
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Pardon me for saying but I already said that. But you said it so much better
Old 30-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #32
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

Sorry John, I missed your comment but great minds think alike so I'm told.........HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #33
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Domestics eased today (everything that can has gone wrong - lesson - don't buy all new stuff when a kitchen is refurbished, it all breaks down at the same time) so got some time in the garage and some thought to the baseboards. Tinker, a cheap idea for levelling the baseboards and I could have gone that way but I'd have to scrabble around on the floor so have gone with the other suggestion (photo below).
If I get rid of the all metal bench and vice I might have a larger middle piece and have more room for a station.
I'll add the corner fillet bits either side of the operator and have something like Ians has displayed to start the layout off. Thanks for the suggestions, you have been a great help.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg levelling for older peeps.jpg (71.9 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by mijj; 10-11-2017 at 05:12 PM.
mijj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #34
mijj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman View Post
The operator's opening doesn't have to have square corners.......just add a triangle of baseboard to allow space for the curves.......HB
We (son and self) have been hard at work. I managed to to do most of the white painting and son finished the high bits where I was height challenged. The base boards are now completed except the 'triangular bits' mentioned above. I will need to do what some one else suggested and try the track on the board to determine what is necessary. I have not used any computerized program to check the layout as I am unused to them.
The paint I used was fence stuff, I hope that is ok? The only paint I had was gloss white and after mixing in paynes grey, pthalo blue, burnt umber, red and green it was a very light shade of green. Almost white in fact.
The LHS is 4' X 5'.
The middle bit is 2' X 5'.
The RHS is 6' X 4'.
The size is limited by the size of the garage.
It is an upside down 'U' shaped board and is for a 00 heritage, freight and perhaps a little passenger service to the next station and the local tourist attraction ( later when the above roundy roundy bit works ok). At this stage there are NO points.
Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseboard completion 002.jpg (62.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg baseboard completion 003.jpg (63.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg baseboard completion 004.jpg (57.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg baseboard completion 005.jpg (68.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 22-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #35
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

I'm impressed - you are really cracking on!
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #36
mijj

Thanks Michael. I haven't done anything today but think I'll maybe try laying out some track tomorrow. Perhaps I can get a rouny-roundy going for some inspiration .
Jim.
Old 22-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #37
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks excellent. What are you going to run on it?
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #38
Mixed Signals

Mixed Signals is on a distinguished road

Good available amount of sq footage you have there to use. 54 if my maths serves. Just did a quick calc of mine (under construction) and it's 74.6.

Will definitely be including curves and 45 degree right angles to the corners for track plan A then B then C then CB with a bit of A you get the idea. )
Mixed Signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 11:36 PM   #39
mijj

@Ians That is the shape I have in mind but I am hoping (was hoping) to use the set rails that came with the Hornby sets, that means radius 3 doesen't it. I have modified the size of the baseboards 1st to me then modified again by son (well he was doing the work ) No doubt they will get modified again when tracking does not fit (C+B+ little bit of A ).

@MG I have two 'Mixed Freight sets which is a steam loco, a diesel loco and three freight wagons each set.

@mixed signals Nice to see our math coincides, yes 54 square feet. It looks big until I try fitting the track.
Jim
Old 23-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #40
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Two Mixed Freight sets.. Are those sets DCC or DC?
Be aware that if they are DCC, you can only use one controller unless one is programmable as a slave to the other. (Only certain controllers can be set up like this, e.g. the Lenz Compact. No idea if Hornby DCC controllers can be programmed like this).
What you want to avoid is using two DCC master control systems on the same layout. One DCC controller is enough for most layouts anyway.
With DC you use one controller per oval of track for the most basic easiest wiring method. To progress from there one wires for cab control (DC).
DCC is slightly easier as one takes ones DCC controller and wires all the track to it so all track is live when the controller is powered up. (Switched on).

You probably have already read and know what I have said above. I write this incase you dont know as I wouldnt want you to mess things up through not knowing. (Ive no idea if damage will result if two DCC systems happen to be connected to the same track. All I know is that in the DCC controller instructions there is a warning not to try it). If you happen to have two DCC controllers, read the instructions to see if one is programmable to be used as a slave controller. If it is, you have two handy controllers to work with your layout running with one system.
If not, then you need to keep one DCC controller and the other becomes a redundant spare. (Maybe passed on to someone else who is considering DCC control?)
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote