Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics

Old 28-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
Suicided

Suicided is on a distinguished road
Default Seep pm1 actuator pin

Hi
I've 16 pm1 and find that the pin merrily moves around when the point is thrown. As this is n gauge that means that point won't throw as the pin has moved in its hole at the motor. The pins also to me don't seem to be perfectly straight. Can anyone please give me their ideas how to make sure the pin cannot move an is straight to the point. The motors haven't been fitted permantly yet so I can remove them and do what you say. I must admit I'm not impressed with these being so flakey. Thank you Eddie
Suicided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Not an uncommon problem it seems with Seep PM1, PM2 and PM4 motors! The pin is a crushed (Crimped) fit into the solenoid sliding rod. While so far I have I have been lucky and escaped this issue, if they were mine and new I would return them to the supplier as faulty, but if they are older ones then you could try a tiny drop of Superglue applied with the tip of a needle or pin or use a cocktail stick, placing a tiny spot of glue onto the drive pin/solenoid rod joint, thereby allowing the small amount of glue to run into and just around the hole that the drive pin is fitted into. But do this with great care as if careless you'll end up bonding the solenoid rod in place! Most Superglue's set within seconds or within a minute, so move the drive rod of the motor over and back by hand several times to ensure the glue hasn't got where it shouldn't and cause bonding of any correctly moving parts!
Old 28-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

I’ve not been as lucky as FB and have used the superglue approach with some success. I also found that if you remove the motor from the layout then line up the crimp with the corresponding hole in the solenoid rod, a light tap with a small hammer is often enough to fix the problem.
Old 15-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Suicided

Suicided is on a distinguished road
Default Superglue

Thanks all. Superglued the pin and now they're throwing fine. Thanks for your help.
Suicided is offline   Reply With Quote