Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 19-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Paul1066

Paul1066 is on a distinguished road
Default Sussex Runabout

Well after years of thinking about it and forever changing my mind to go for a loft / shed / garage location, I've finally built my layout shed in a corner of the garden and after what seems like months (hang on - it was months), the shed is built and I'm ready to begin work on the layout. I've ended up with a space of 12 1/2 ft x 8 1/2 ft which is about the maximum I could fit in. My plan is to start with a two-level layout with the upper level being more or less a perimeter double track and work in from there, although as I've been building the framing and deck I've now got a plan to incorporate a helix so that I can have a storage yard below the main deck.

Layout will be DCC and based on the early 1960s era and be sort of BR Southern Region although I'm not too concerned about being a stickler for that.

Last edited by Paul1066; 19-06-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Paul1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I will be watching closely as this is very similar to what I have planned (12 to 18 months down the road). Love the way you have done the walls and would be interested to know what you've done and how.

I am also planning a double level with a helix and possibly a later extension into the garden.

I look forward to seeing how it progresses and any problems you encounter.
Old 19-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road

I would not include the helix - it will take up a great deal of space and will be a dust trap. A double deck is a good idea - it will enable a second destination.

A problem with many layouts is that it is not possible for a train to arrive at a station other than the station that the train had just left.

If you study a layout control program such as Rocrail you can get some ideas for possible routes your trains can take. For example: engine shed to siding, platform 1 to platform 2 etc.

It is quite a good idea to imagine a real station and the services it provides. Eg Brighton to Lewes ( one way) Brighton to Hove ( other direction).

You can have a virtual destination such as London Victoria which is not depicted on the layout. Trains routed to that destination will wait in the tunnel or go round the helix if you are determined to have it!
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
Paul1066

Hi there, walls are simply tapered plasterboard sheets on timber studs, joints filled and emulsion painted. I wanted something that looked clean, wasn't too difficult to put up and could be easily painted. The one concern I have at the moment is noise - being hard walls and ceiling surfaces it's pretty echoey in there, I've carpeted the floor which has helped, so I'll see how it goes as I build the layout. The helix is a means to an end - purely to move stock from the storage area to the main deck so it's only going to be a single track of 2nd radius to keep the size down and mostly hidden - I won't need to run any of my big locos down there - only a small loco or shunter to bring stock up and down. I'm building a ramp between the upper level and main deck.
Old 19-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Don't be put off the helix idea by Cudders. He's right that it can take up a fair bit of space (4' diameter in OO, 2' in N) but if carefully planned it really can add to a layout if integrated properly. Mine (N gauge) sits under one end of my baseboard in a space that would otherwise have been completely wasted. And I too, have a shed that's about 12'x8'.
As for dust, I just run my track cleaner up and down every month or do - no problem.
Old 19-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
Itch45

Itch45 is on a distinguished road

Nice looking shed, you wouldn't know it was a shed.
Itch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
Paul1066

Breaking out the pencils, paper and rulers!

Old 20-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Looking good so far Paul.
Old 20-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Paul, you're doing it properly. How very dare you!
Old 20-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #10
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

Looking good. I would fit a 1" rebate - it is extremely easy for a loco to slip over the edge and crash down onto the floor.