Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > Clubs & Societies

Clubs & Societies Model railway club news

Old 30-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #51
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Reminds me of when they installed cameras in the chargemans office. While they were installing them and showing the station staff they watched a car reverse into another car, both illegally parked. Another day soon after they were practicing how to use the cameras and they watched this man walk from his car straight into the carpark sign. He fell backwards to the ground. He came into the chargemans office and wanted to sue the railway. I said "For your own stupidity?" The sign was at least 6ftx4ft with a bright reflective background and he walked into it at face level in broad daylight! The only one he could sue logically was himself!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #52
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Another thought. Young people do get older every day. So every day those in the hobby get older....
OK. Maybe off topic a bit now...
Old 17-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #53
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

One thing I've noticed with the youngsters today. Contrary to what people say, when they get to see model trains their eyes light up. I find it is more their parents prefer them to use computers etc rather then model railways. I would say the main reasons would be lack of space and the prices, or younger brothers and sisters may be the main reasons parents say no.
My brothers kiddies always ask to see my trains. Sadly they have not seen them run yet! Must get a layout working again...
For my brothers kiddies though, due to some being young and some older, trains would be wrecked. Also one young lady he has has issues.. We think autism or similar and she gets up to things!!! They have been waiting for her to be assessed for years. She is now 9 and though very intelligent and quick thinking, she can't read or write.
If I get my trains running I think it will be OK as she usually behaves for me. It is more trying to stop all his kids wanting to have a go at the same time, as there are 9 of them!

I have helped getting model trains to kiddies on several occasions, usually in the form of a battery set as a fun way to start.
Old 22-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #54
LC&DR
Goods Shunter (retired)

LC&DR is on a distinguished road

Both my sons have sons, and some of my grandsons are keen on trains. (ratio of three to one) one of my sons and one of my daughters have daughters but my grand-daughters are less so interested. (Two are now grown up and I rarely see them).

Two grandsons have train sets. They started with Brio wooden trains but have moved on to Hornby in the last couple of years One is into steam, his latest is the Duke of Gloucester, the other likes diesel/electric. He got a Pendolino as a birthday surprise from granddad last week!

One thing is certain. If any come to visit then grand-dad HAS to get his trains out!!
LC&DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #55
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

We have quite a hobby for young and old alike. When my youngest brother came along he was fascinated watching my then 00 gauge rabbit and warren style layout to guess where the train would come out next!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #56
Dbear1989

Dbear1989 is on a distinguished road

I would just like to start by saying this post has been fascinating. All the different opinions from people of different generations.

Just to pull this thread back onto topic I am 27 years old. I have a pregnant wife and a one year old at home (who loves watching daddy's choo choos go round and round). i work as an electrician for 40-60 hours a week. So the issue for me is time.

One member said it best. The world moves 100+ mph mine defiantly does and if I don't move with it I will be left behind.

Bring on retirement where I can spend hours upon hours perfecting my layout but until then the odd half an hour here and there will have to do.
Dbear1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #57
jamielund

jamielund is on a distinguished road

i am 25 and have two hobbies that most young people are not involved in, model railways and kite flying, no not the little kiddie kites that you run around with, even in the kite flying world we struggle to get young people into, cost again is the biggest problem some costing over 1000 and upwards.

Kids or younger people just are not interested in these type of hobbies, im one of the youngest doing kite flying and proberally one of the youngest doing this, my wife to be thinks im sad although i dont see her complaining when we are away pretty much every weekend in the summer.
jamielund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #58
Jimo

Jimo is on a distinguished road

Just over a year ago I found my wife, an 81 year young artist taking an interest in trains - she actually bought one - a Farish Cumbrian Mountain Express, of course the twain needed a twak to run on so that seemed to be my job - working signals, lighting, turnouts etc., my main hobby for several years has been large scale aero modelling but not for the present... with a baseboard made I set out a rail pattern in accordance with SWMBO'S wishes and she worked for several months building a diarama depicting a s&c Yorkshire setting similar to her childhood memories; well, she made a pretty good job of it too, its named DALESGATE which has been exhibited at 4 events this year with still another to come in December and 3 dates for next year. I've got caught up in this and enjoy our weekly visits to our MRC some 40 miles away. The layout, just able to fit in our SUV has spurred us on to create a larger No2 layout that we are BOTH working on that will be ready - when it's ready! Cheap hobby? Hardly, our work so far has cost iro 4,000+ and the layouts are small by comparison with others we've seen at shows.
The main thing is we are both enjoying our new found hobby together with club membership that costs us 600 per year, with a few more members costs could come down a bit but as with any club there are the overheads that have to be covered. As a hobby for youngsters there can't be many that could afford such costs but our club has fixed layouts in O and OO scale that have been built for members young and older to use. Membership rates are varied depending on age, use of club facilities and other variables.

Last edited by Jimo; 20-11-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Jimo is offline   Reply With Quote