Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > Clubs & Societies

Clubs & Societies Model railway club news

Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
mikkel

mikkel is on a distinguished road
Default Getting younger Members

Gents and Ladies if any on this forum, have any of you found youngsters are not so keen on joining Clubs today? This topic of conversation came up at Wisbech Club tonight, because there were only 6 in attendance, with just one member of working age, and the rest, including myself, retired.

We have our website that is still being worked on, tried to get help with the local press, but sadly to No avail, had a few mentions on local BBC radio, which I will be trying again asap.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Hi
Getting younger club members is vital for the longevity of any club.
The major obstacles to junior club members are IMO..
The law.. Regarding minors attending. You need to either have a parent, relative or guardian present all the time or the club membership has to be CRB checked.
The cost.. Model railways like many hobbies isn't cheap. Locos selling for around 100 each and mum and dad on a tight budget don't help! Little Jimmy's pocket money doesn't go that far.
Meeting times.. Most clubs meet in the evenings many ending around 22:00 which is possibly a little too late for some juniors and if the junior is older homework and studying for exams etc eat into that free time. After school clubs are ideal really for school children (I dislike the term school children as at 16 your not really a child!)

My views (not necessarily everyone else's) are...

Over 16s... Here there becomes more worldly things to do and explore including the opposite sex and generally having a good time.

Over 20s.. Most are in serious relationships, getting married or got married and starting families. No money or time for MRs.

Over 30s.. Family growing up cost are high, house moves and work patterns prevent many 30 somethings from even thinking about MRs

Over 40s to late 50s.. They may start to look at that spare room as a place to start that layout they thought about as a younger person. Assuming funds and work allow they may with domestic approval make a start, but often its just arm chair modelling. Considers joining a MR club if they can find someone else to go with.

Over 60... Time of life to take on a hobby more seriously that will last you through retirement. Hopefully most of the family financial worries are now left behind. Grandchildren need to be entertained and Granddads train set is always popular. Joins club for companionship, meeting new friends and generally feeling useful to the club.

Thats my review in a nutshell. Its very generic and doesn't fit any real life plan
Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
dynax

dynax is on a distinguished road

I think you're spot on there FB, if we want to attract younger members to clubs then why not operate a Sunday club, then everyone can attend, Mike.
dynax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

I have recently been in contact with the Taunton Town MRC details of their meetings can be found here. http://www.ttmrc.co.uk/apps/calendar...7255&pageNum=1 Obviously this sort of facility takes a great deal of commitment but I was impressed with the 10:00 - 16:00 hours. Perhaps these hours can be adjusted locally for an "after school" club?
Old 11-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

The CRB check is quite expensive and it doesn't cover everything. My wife worked in a school and runs a Hitler Youth, sorry Brownie pack and had to have a separate CRB for each thing even though most of the Brownies attended the school she worked at.

Seeing some of the people at shows who run club layouts I'm not surprised kids don't attend.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

There seem to be varying costs depending on who is doing the checking (and maybe the level of check required). We have just come out of the pub trade and the CRB (in order to get a personal licence) was 40 ish. My partner started another job last year and the CRB for that was 80! Wierd huh?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
alfaz-di-pi

alfaz-di-pi is on a distinguished road

I suppose that it depends on what yopu are applying for relates to how much and how far a search has to be applied for a CRB. I had a CRB when I went to work, building/extending the prison, but I was not aware of the cost as the company(I presume) paid for it. Likewise my wife helps at the locoal school and had a CRB for that, but again it was paid by the school, as it is volunteer work.
Albert
alfaz-di-pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

My wife had to pay for the school and brownie CRB. Suppose it depends where you live.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

CRB checks for MR club members is really a silly option, as all members would have to have one. Cost = excessive, then what if some of the members came back as failed? Would the club bar these people?? Just to allow an under 16 to attend unaccompanied!
CRB checks are not a viable option really, but I had to state it as being one.

My clubs constitution states that Junior members are welcome to join, but they must be accompanied at all times by a senior club member who is either a parent or guardian or they can nominate a Person in Charge of that junior member and if a PIC is the option then the parent or guardian must provide a written signed letter giving permission and they must specifying who that PIC is to be. It was the only way we could get around the CRB issues.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
alfaz-di-pi

alfaz-di-pi is on a distinguished road

That sounds a very sensable way of doing it, unfortunately to keep within the law it is necessary.
Albert.
alfaz-di-pi is offline   Reply With Quote