Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 19-06-2018, 08:35 AM   #21
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

I think whether a ball is or is not over a line is a lot more straightforward and the VAR is invaluable for that. When it comes to whether or not a foul has been committed is an entirely different matter and requires a lot more input from the ref and linesmen. I think the problem last night was the ref was very weak and inconsistent and didn't use the VAR effectively.

I also think England have a lot of work to do if they want to progress. There were far too many missed opportunities last night and the lacklustre passing the ball around was frustrating and potentially very hazardous. Far too much messing around in our own half and the number of times a ball was passed to a team mate who was surrounded by a number of opposition players staggerred belief. These guys need to develop some intelligent play and quickly.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #22
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
I think whether a ball is or is not over a line is a lot more straightforward and the VAR is invaluable for that. When it comes to whether or not a foul has been committed is an entirely different matter and requires a lot more input from the ref and linesmen. I think the problem last night was the ref was very weak and inconsistent and didn't use the VAR effectively.

I also think England have a lot of work to do if they want to progress. There were far too many missed opportunities last night and the lacklustre passing the ball around was frustrating and potentially very hazardous. Far too much messing around in our own half and the number of times a ball was passed to a team mate who was surrounded by a number of opposition players staggerred belief. These guys need to develop some intelligent play and quickly.
I think you are being a bit harsh on our team Bb. Apart from the unfair balance of refereeing, the heat and midges had a lot to do with it, which would have suited Tunisia better. I cant understand why England had to be based 1000 miles to the North where the weather was more like our own and only fly down 24 hours earlier which gave them no time to acclimatise.

Personally I think they played well in the circunstances and deserved the points.
Old 19-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #23
Bunkerbarge

I do think we have a better chance of progressing than we have had for many years but I also think we need to improve significantly. Hopefully they will hone thier techniques on Panama and Belgium because if they continue out of the table to pass like they did last night a half decent team will tear them to pieces.
Old 19-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #24
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Hopefully we will get a very good result against Panama, which will prepare us for Belgium - that will be our toughest game in the group.
Old 19-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #25
Maz066

Maz066 is on a distinguished road

I think it would be tough Psychologically for England. First game, possibly a bit confident against an "easy" side, not quite into the swing of the series. It is times like these you get upsets. I am not a "soccer" expert by any means rather rugby league from Aus, but it is the same with most sporting events. England was off its game
I look at the socceroos and what they are up against and I cringe
Old 19-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #26
Bunkerbarge

I think the challenge Southgate has now is dealing with the situation that neither Germany nor Brazil won thier opening games yet England did. There is a very real danger that this could lead to over confidence when, in reality, both Germany and Brazil played a far better game than England.

Just compare the passing game, England pass in small circles and regularly pass into trouble. The passing is frequently slow and looks as though they are passing because they have been told to. The opposition can easily put them under pressure and this can lead to a mistake.

Germany on the other hand pass out of trouble, they pass long and extreemly accurate balls quickly. The opposition are constantly chasing them. They were unlucky to loose but they will get thier act together and I am certain that they will again be the team to beat. To be honest, four years ago they never really had any opposition and there is still a lot of that team and administration in Russia.
Old 19-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #27
roger oldacre

roger oldacre is on a distinguished road

Good morning, I agree that England need to sharpen up in and around the box but I did feel the ref had blinkers on,the penalty was correct but how did they miss those against Kane they wouldn't have been out of place on a rugby pitch this isn't just sour grapes but anyone with half a knowledge of football would agree. Let's see if more of the same happens again against Panama which I suspect it will now they know they can get away with it.
Come on England.
Roger O
roger oldacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #28
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road
Default Spoiler - Germany v Sweden

Germany scrape through with ten men, who would believe it! After losing to Mexico in opening match they will probably go on to win the final now.
Old 23-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #29
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

No we’ll beat then on penalties.
Old 23-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #30
Bunkerbarge

This is the World Cup not the parting of the Red Sea!!