Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 09-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road
Default Nodinson Hills

Hi all

I have finally settled on a layout design, location for the layout, a name (as above) and today I got all the track and point motors.

Layout design:

The location will be within my bedroom, as space is perfect for it.
1200mm x 850mm

The name came to me randomly, I liked the idea of playing on another word with putting a prominent N in it to denote it being an N gauge layout.
I liked for some reason Odin as in farther of Thor, so I played around with it originally I was going for Nodin and then I thought Nodinson and since its going to have 1 big hill and a smaller one elsewhere, Nodinson Hills was born.

I am modelling late crest BR era 1957-1966 so I have a broad range to choose from, I just find the livery and crest of this era what I like.
Might throw a special train on occasionally for race days in preservation livery, probably one of the big 4.

It will be a DCC layout, once I have my DCC controller, I have decided to go with the NCE Power Cab.

I was intending to intially lay only one loop to keep costs down and then expand when the funds became available. With that I was going to manually switch frog polarity, but I decided to just buy it all in one go and get the point motors at the same time.
This will take longer to lay the initial track but it will be worth it in the end for a better result.

All my track, points, point motors, fish plates and 2 of 3 tracksetta (one is in the post from a facebook seller for the 12" one)

There is only 8 point for motors for 9 points, as 1 point wont be motorised and it wont actually be used its there for an abandoned siding, the top one on the inside loop, it will be well weathered, grasses and such sticking out.

Everything is Code 55 and electrofrog/unifrog.
I am using the new unifrog points for the left and right hand medium radius points, all except one which is classic electrofrog, this is currently on my testing loop which I will swap back in for a straight section of track as I intend to keep it as a running in loop.
These new unifrog points will be fun to use I think, I have never done DCC before and never soldered N gauge track so lots of fun and learning ahead.

Monday Is the day I buy and start construction on the baseboard.
I know a bit backwards getting the track first but a little trip to Hattons shop is easier in my car as its small (Citroen C1), I need to borrow a family members car to get the wood.

I cannot wait to get started and show you guys the progress going forward.

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 09-06-2018 at 07:49 PM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the track in the middle of the layout a station or a set of sidings? If a station I'd add a facing crossover somewhere near the bottom of the board so trains can enter from the other track.
If they are sidings, a headshunts wouldn't go amiss.
(You dont have to make these alterations. Is just me thinking aloud! It will work as it is!)
An exciting project. Is always good make a start on a layout. Fun!

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 10-06-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Exciting times, have fun!
Old 10-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
oncomin5torm

It's a siding.
From left to right.
Goods loading, storage of empty or full, disused and abandoned.

I can't think of how is get a headshunt on there without making it way more crammed in than I'd want.
The inner line is mostly goods anyway.
As I've got the track for this setup I'll probably stick the way it is as buying 1 more point would be annoying from Hattons with postage or the toll fees at the bridge.
Might have a play because I won't have track layed for a while.

Thanks MG
Old 10-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

I see what you mean about space and a headshunt.
I was just thinking. Since I started making my own track I get in the habit of thinking " If it doesn't fit I'll make it fit" type of thoughts... My limitations are mostly around limiting points to save myself work!
I wouldn't fancy building points in N gauge though. Fair play to those who do!
Stick to ready made and save your sanity.
Is your C1 one of the older versions? Would a 3' x 2’ layout fit in one with the back seats down? Do the back seats fold down? The reason why I ask is I have thoughts for the future about getting one of those as a runaround and placing my current car on a limited milage classis car insurance to save costs.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
oncomin5torm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
I see what you mean about space and a headshunt.
I was just thinking. Since I started making my own track I get in the habit of thinking " If it doesn't fit I'll make it fit" type of thoughts... My limitations are mostly around limiting points to save myself work!
I wouldn't fancy building points in N gauge though. Fair play to those who do!
Stick to ready made and save your sanity.
Is your C1 one of the older versions? Would a 3' x 2 layout fit in one with the back seats down? Do the back seats fold down? The reason why I ask is I have thoughts for the future about getting one of those as a runaround and placing my current car on a limited milage classis car insurance to save costs.
Its the newer version, folding down is not the issue, I can get a couple of 2.4m length PSE in no problem, the problem is the 2 sheets of ply plus 4 PSE haha.

I think you would get a 3 and half foot by 2 foot in fairly easily, not sure if any passengers would as well mind you.

Grand little car, I've had mine for 2 and half years from brand new off the production line and I love it.
I don't travel far so a fancy thing is not needed, all I wanted was USB input, throw all my music on there, using the touch screen I have every song I want.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

I can't put the seats down in my car as it has a traditional boot, but the boot is a good size.
Old 16-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
oncomin5torm

Update time.
Last week was track buying and discovering how to use these new unifrog points (simpler than I thought apparently)

The baseboard has been built, it is just requiring legs, ran out of time and energy for that today.

The baseboard is made from 9mm ply on a softwood frame of 20.5mm by 44mm. (1 by 2 in old money close enough anyway)
The legs will be made from 38mm by 63mm timber, a job for another day though.

The last photo shows the drilled out holes ready for the bus wires to go through, well big enough for more than a few 32/0.2mm gauge wire to go though.

Where the board is propped up against is where it will be living.
Old 16-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Its coming along nicely. Nice touch to paint the underside of the board.
Old 16-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #10
oncomin5torm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Its coming along nicely. Nice touch to paint the underside of the board.
One of the many things I have learnt.
I found it somewhere maybe on here not sure, makes life easier as most boards are not able to be lifted so wiring under somewhere is normally dark so make it easier by painting it white.