Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 02-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #21
ScottC

ScottC is on a distinguished road

Evening all,

Thanks for the replies and links. It's been a couple of months since I posted this and sadly, apart from a complete oval, not a lot else has happened on the layout - time has been the biggest issue (and it's a bit warm in the loft!).

I have bought some Peco electrofrog points and am in the process on creating a yard with fuelling point. The area also has the Peco kit-build engine shed, so in total there will be 4 sidings, with one long enough to store a 2 car DMU.

As for the coal mine, I have got as far as buying the Woodland Scenics Incline Starter Kit so I can elevate the track up to it, which I think will give the layout a more 3D look - I hope.

My biggest enemy at the moment is getting my head around DCC. This is my first DCC layout so is all new to me. I've just bought the NCE PowerCab Starter system which I hope will be as easy as the videos show to get up and running, but I also need to convert nearly all of my locos as they are mostly DC. I think I only have 2 or 3 that are DCC ready... then it's working out what chips to buy etc!

Expect numerous tedious questions from me soon...
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #22
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry about months going past, its not a particularly quick pass time for most and any progress is good.

As for DCC I wouldn't get too stressed about it. apart from learning how to actually operate the controls the only other feature that needs to be used early on is programming loco addresses, all the other features can be tinkered with at later dates.
As for DCC chips, a lot of it is down to cost and personal taste, I have used Hattons own brand without the harness link below when ive needed to buy extras, they work well and in most bigger locos fit easily where ones with harnesses take more room, What I would say is when fitting chips to non DCC ready to fit a harness with a plug if possible as it means you can easily change the chip if needs be.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/68479/Hatto...ockDetail.aspx
chris_db4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #23
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

@ScottC.......when considering which decoders to buy don't dismiss the Hornby X9659 4 pin decoder......only 12 from Hattons it is very compact and with just 4 wires to connect takes up less space in the smaller tank locos........obviously not suitable if you intend to fit any lighting but is a very easy and economical way to get several locos running on DCC.....here's one I did earlier!.......HB

4 pin fitting in 0-6-0.jpg
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #24
pgcroc1
pgcroc

pgcroc1 is on a distinguished road

Hi All
My first post on the forum.
I now have an empty garage and am retired so thought I would go the dcc railway route.
After reading the posts here I thought I would bite the bullet and show what I have designed so far.
Any comments or constructive criticism would be gratefully received.
After watching loads of YouTube videos and reading stuff on sites like these I don't know if I am better informed or confused.
Cheers
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Revision 13e.JPG (102.3 KB, 28 views)
pgcroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #25
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Forum.

What scale is it, OO, N.........?

Are you using 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th rad curves for the four circuits. If so the inner circuit using 1st rad will only be OK for smaller locos. Most large locos will struggle.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #26
chris_db4

The number of points isn't excessive, but the placing of them might be better coming from the central station/sidings you need to perform a half lap on the green line before you can move out and then its just out by one line, if the cross overs were staggered then you could move across several lines to where you want, double slips are a bit more complicated to fit but also achieve this in a smaller space which is handy.
radius of curves will depend on what stock you want to run but as has been said above any long locos or stock will struggle, fine if you want short waggons for industrial work
Old 04-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #27
pgcroc1
pgcroc

Hi Walkingthedog & Chris_db4
Many thanks both for your comments.
Sorry, should have given gauge. It is OO.
The curves range through 4th on the outside, yellow track, then 3rd, 2nd and 1st.
I appreciate large locos will struggle on the 1st radius.
Probably will have tank engines there.
Thinking about what you have said, possibly I will have to change it radically otherwise I would not get the large locos 'parked'.
I think that revision 14 is coming.
I am in Cyprus for another 4 weeks so have time to try and sort it out.
Cheers guys
Pete
Old 04-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #28
chris_db4

It is always worth having a think about what you want the end result to be too, at the moment you have a lot of running lines and to sacrifice the 1st radius so that long trains can access the centre sidings might be worth it
at least its the joy of the computer its easy to remodel
Old 04-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #29
Rog (RJ)
Super Duper Moderator ;-)

Rog (RJ) is on a distinguished road

You also have 2 reverse loops in the central station area which will need reverse loop modules (RLMs) to avoid short circuits when entering and leaving the reverse loops.

Rog (RJ)
Rog (RJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #30
pgcroc1
pgcroc

Chris_DB4 and RJ
Many thanks for your comments.
I am at the moment redesigning the whole lot from scratch.
Trying to get a handle on double slips!
Cheers
Pete