Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics

Old 11-04-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
Pompeydave

Pompeydave is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Thanks Mike for your comments which I have copied so as to take note of when I attempt the deed. I intend to place under the board. In spite of advancing years I can get comfortable underneath - it`s getting back up that takes an effort!
Pompeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Note that Cobalts work best with the point spring removed.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #13
Pompeydave

I was mindful of this aspect but thanks for the reminder. Removing the Peco spring will be another "first".

Great to be on this Forum with so many members trying to help.
Old 14-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #14
Pompeydave

Question

My earlier post indicated the experienced unreliability of Seep PM1s to change the polarity at the frog (electrofrog). I was using PM1s for analogue point movement on a DCC layout and the built-in switch to change polarity.
I have purchased some "Cobalt IP Analog" point motors for the first time. In spite of viewing on-line tutorials and reading instructions I am unsure of how to wire the Cobalt to mirror the terminals on the PM!.
On the PM1 terminals A and B went to the momentary toggle switch, C went to power, D and E to track and F to frog.

Can any member please enlighten me as to the relative terminals to use on the Cobalt IP Analog?
Old 14-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Cobalts work off dc not ac and have a stall mechanism so you apply the dc + - to change in one direction and then -+ to change in the opposite direction . The dc supply is connected to terminals 1 and 2 - a simple 2 way double pole switch without a centre off is required wired to swop the + and - depending on which way the switch is set. If you not like the idea of the dc supply being always connected use a switch than is biased centre off so you have to push and hold it to change the point.

Terminals 4 to 6 and 7 to 9 are a pair of switches compared to the single switch on the SEEP motor. If wiring to a frog , and 6, or 7, is the connection to the frog and 4 and 5, or 8 and 9, go to the track supply.

Last edited by Mike Parkes; 14-04-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
Pompeydave

Question

Thanks for that Mike, and so quick too!
Understanding electrics is one of my many weak points so your instructions will give me a starting platform. It would appear that I have a choice of which manual switch to use . Do I presume correctly that most people would use the 2 way double pole?
Old 14-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #17
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Have a read through this the Digital type are what i use...

https://www.dccconcepts.com/wp-conte...odels-2014.pdf
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #18
Pompeydave

Exclamation

Thanks Tinker.
I had already seen and copied the page re. Analog Cobalt which sensibly gives numbers to the terminals which the actual unit does not. With that in mind Mike`s advice makes for better understanding.
Old 19-05-2018, 04:10 AM   #19
LocoShed

LocoShed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeydave View Post
As a new member who is making hard work of getting a layout up and running my latest problem relates to the use of DCC80 with adapted electrofrog points.
As other members have discussed on various threads using a Seep PM! cannot always be relied upon to change the polarity at the frog...
There are a number of products equivalent to the DCC80, but to be perfectly honest and without appearing to be rude, they are all purposely designed to part people (who don't want to learn how to wire properly) from their money!!!

The only justifiable purpose I can think of for such devices is a loop from one exist of a turnout looping back onto the other.

I have used PM1's and PM2's extensively and have done so for about 20 years. I have never had any problems with any of them. They are very reliable when compare to Peco products.
I will concede that PM?s are not the easiest to align under Peco point motors, so for that purpose, I came up with a bracket which I 3D-printed.

I'd agree with others that Cobalt, Tortoise and other similar products are viable solutions. You don't need DCC80!

Graham Plowman
LocoShed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 06:17 AM   #20
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Whilst DCC80 frog switches are not entirely necessary they do provide a cheap, easily installed and foolproof method of changing frog polarity. Good to hear that you have never had any problems but some layouts do not use any of the Seep PM motor variations. R-