Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Old 09-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #21
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Steve M is on a distinguished road

As Michael P says, B&Q will provide 15 cuts free with each purchase. I got two or three 2’ sections out of each plywood sheet and had the remainder cut into 2” strips for the framing. Screwed and glued means the boards are straight, true and as tough as old boots.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #22
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
Get the baseboards cut square for you - abuse the free cutting service if you use a well-known DIY chain but check for warps first. Then, build the frame to the top - that way you get pretty much guaranteed right angles and you can trim the 2 long sides at least square by carefully using the baseboard as a guide. Screw and glue the frame to the baseboard and countersink the screws - you don't have to be bang on arcurate!
B&Q do tend to be dearer for materials than saw mills but seemingly have no limit on the number of cuts they will do for free. I found that out to my cost at the Leeds B&Q where I and several others had to queue whilst one customer had a couple of sheets of MDF cut into 1ft squares. This generated quite a bit of choice muttering in the queue.

Richard
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #23
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

He was probably one of these pesky railway modeller types with nothing better to do with his spare time!
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #24
ScottC

ScottC is on a distinguished road

I've recently built 10 individual baseboards with an average size of 140cm x 70cm. The frames are 2cm x 1cm PSE and the tops are 9mm Birch Ply. I got all the wood from my local Buildbase and cost around 250 inc VAT (inc cutting everything to size). I used 1.5" screws to hold it all together.

The layout is in the loft and there are 3 roof trusses along the length. I have put horizontal braces across them and the boards sit on those - no legs, or screws needed. If/When I move house, I can just lift each section out and pass them down the loft hatch one by one.

Here's a pic to give you an idea: Baseboards
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #25
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Hi Scott - make sure your boards are attached to the trusses - from your photo the board edge looks as though it only just sits on the truss - a quick knock might dislodge it. BB
Old 11-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
ScottC

ScottC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
Hi Scott - make sure your boards are attached to the trusses - from your photo the board edge looks as though it only just sits on the truss - a quick knock might dislodge it. BB
That was before I squared them up properly. Also, now all 10 boards are built and in place, they all hold together in place very snuggly, so there's no need for extra hardware - I got the idea from a YouTube video I saw a while back.

I wanted them modular, so if/when we move, I don't can dismantle everything without too much grief and move it.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote