Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 08-04-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
Lexicaltje

Lexicaltje is on a distinguished road
Default West Junction

I've debated for some time writing my own one of these, but it seems quite fun to post progress pictures and gain feedback on decisions you've made etc...

Im a bit further along that is probably good to post as a starter.

Essentially i got interested in the hobby again now im in my 30's. I loved it when i was a kid but i never had the money or skill to make anything worthwhile. I basically just built an oval and made the trains i had run round it.

Now i have a bit more money and the time to learn the skills and its been really enjoyable.

In February i jumped right into it and made something without really knowing what i was doing. Got quite far with it and started doing scenery but after a while i realised id made some schoolboy errors and took the decision to start again. But out of interest, i have attached a picture of this original attempt.

The layout i was able to build was always going to be a 6x4. I couldn't do anything bigger due to limitations in space in my small house (And the mrs wouldn't be too happy!). I also wanted to do something in the early BR period or perhaps pre-war. Always had a fascination with that period as im sure many people have.

So i took everything up (Including cork underlay! Which was a pain....) And sanded the top of the plywood i had originally bought. I also built a frame so i could properly wire the layout and to provide some rigidity which i realised was important.

I designed something in Anyrail, which i shared on here for some critiquing. It was based very loosely on a layout i saw in Railway Modeller, but i changed it extensively to include a lot more track. I like to have lots of interest....

In about a week i had learnt to solder and soldered all my dropper cables to get ready for laying. Decided i wasn't going to use cork this time!!!

I then laid the track which was a mix of peco setrack, flexi track and streamline points (With one setrack point that i had spare). Really enjoyed this part. Learning how to manipulate the flexi track was horrible at first, but then really enjoyable. I feel like i made some interesting sweeping curves with the limited space i had.

Then i did the wiring which again was something i had never attempted. Used thick cable and scotchloks to crimp the bus wires to the dropper cables. Then used a chocolate block connector at the end to connect to my controller. Good ole Bachmann EZ command... Really need to get something new next month on that front!!

Anyway, here are some pictures up to this point and ill do another post at what I've done since then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0312.jpg (24.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0348.jpg (22.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0357.jpg (16.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0363.jpg (24.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0370.jpg (17.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Lexicaltje; 08-04-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Lexicaltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Lexicaltje

So after laying the track i did some testing, and made some fixes for some wiring errors i had. (Just me not pressing the scotchlok connectors in far enough...).

I've then started to debate scenery and buildings. I've got some buildings i made out of kits left over from my first attempt. But one thing i really wanted was a kind of mainline station. So i knew in the middle i wanted to have a nice big setpeice.

So thats what I've been doing the last week is making those buildings and platforms. Its come out to be quite big but i think i can make it fit.

Ive also started laying the base layer of my coal yard. Not glued down yet, but i will do that today i think as im quite pleased with it.

Also have a track painter to do some weathering and my ballast arriving today. So i may get started on that this week.

Next month though i really need to get a new controller, as i indicated. (Still debating Powercab vs PA2, think im leaning towards PA2 at the moment). And going to buy a point motor to test. Haven't decided if im going to do point motors yet, if i do it'll have to be surface mounted ones because of the way my layout has most of its points at the edge, i wouldn't be able to use under board ones due to the frame.

Anyway, some more pictures i think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0371.jpg (19.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0394.jpg (25.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.jpg (24.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.jpg (26.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 08-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

A very good start.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Once again you have made good use of the space. I like the station buildings as well. Nice job. R-
Old 08-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

Good start. It will be interesting to see how you progress - you're certainly up and running in a short time.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road

Wow, simply put.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
Lexicaltje

Thank you for the kind comments, still a lot to do. I am one of those people that likes to crack on i have to say.

One thing I've learnt today - Woodland scenics track painting pens... Not very good. Think ill just buy an Airbrush.... Then i can try my hand at weathering as well. Which should be interesting!
Old 08-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Lexicaltje

Also tested a bit of the ballast out today. Never looks as good as i want it too...

Its just WS medium grey, had some mixed grey left over from last time which i sprinkled on top but i don't really like it. Might try and weather it a bit or something. Not sure, my ballasting never looks very good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0397.jpg (414.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 13-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #9
IanAlan

IanAlan is on a distinguished road
Default Landscaping

Hi, you said that your ballasting "never looks good". You could try getting rid of the grey 'undercoat' next to the ballasting, which tricks the eye. Either use some green scatter material or brush and sponge on some green and earth coloured acrylic paint Your ballasting will look very different next to this and it may help you adjust the ballasting mix/colour to achieve the look that you want. I hope that's helpful, Ian Alan
IanAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicaltje View Post
Also tested a bit of the ballast out today. Never looks as good as i want it too...

Its just WS medium grey, had some mixed grey left over from last time which i sprinkled on top but i don't really like it. Might try and weather it a bit or something. Not sure, my ballasting never looks very good
I got a piece of ply and put six pieces of straight track (about six inches long), and then having looked at the ballast at out local station and elsewhere, ballasted each piece of track using a different combination (mix) of WS ballast - keeping a note of the mix for each track piece. That way I was able to come up with something that was not straight out of the bag. Also mounting my track on cork it gave the "shoulder" at the edge of the track.

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 14-04-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote