Originally Posted by Silvernovice View Post
The Op was concerned about the noise disturbing neighbours
Peter
Buy the neighbours some earplugs.
Old 28-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

The kind help we give on this forum is mind boggling.
Old 28-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #14
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VEP View Post
There's a bit more to the Peco foam underlay story. A horrible chemical which has now been banned was used in the manufacturing process originally used. The resulting foam was not dangerous, but the formulation had to be changed making the foam less stable particularly if it is subjected to sunlight and damp. However the new version of the foam is all right to use in a loft which is normally kept in total darkness and is not damp.
In a past life working for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service I had quite a lot to do with chemical products being used around the County I can beat your story with the foam. Was walking around a refinery one afternoon and there was a pipeline with a yellow line on it and the chap said to me look at that. I you get a leak in that pipe dont go anywhere near it. If you get spot on your finger the only cure is Amputation. It is the most dangerous chemical know to man.
Good god I said what do they use it for. Making Soap Powder he replied.
I let the wife do the washing after that day. He did assured me it was quite safe after processing. The amusing thing was a tanker of the stuff used to come from South Wales once a week and it drove through London via Oxford Street and the A13. They know what they are doing, the experts.
Old 28-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #15
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
In a past life working for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service I had quite a lot to do with chemical products being used around the County I can beat your story with the foam. Was walking around a refinery one afternoon and there was a pipeline with a yellow line on it and the chap said to me look at that. I you get a leak in that pipe dont go anywhere near it. If you get spot on your finger the only cure is Amputation. It is the most dangerous chemical know to man.
Good god I said what do they use it for. Making Soap Powder he replied.
I let the wife do the washing after that day. He did assured me it was quite safe after processing. The amusing thing was a tanker of the stuff used to come from South Wales once a week and it drove through London via Oxford Street and the A13. They know what they are doing, the experts.
Well now we know where the Russians got it from! Come back Mr Putin, all is forgiven.
Old 28-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #16
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

I can vouch for the sound deadening ability of Woodland Scenics track bed. It is black without the ballast effect of the Peco foam or the track shaped recesses but on the plus side it isn't supposed to suffer the degradation issues that afflict some other foams.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
Nige333

Nige333 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
In a past life working for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
Small world! (closest fire station to me is Grays)

Anyway, thanks for all your thoughts everyone.

I certainly take on board the points about attaching to a wall and improving the framework to make the whole thing a more solid affair.

I'm also thinking about slightly reducing the size of the baseboard (currently 7' by 4') as not only will it fit better in my flat; I'm thinking a smaller baseboard will be less suseptible to transmitting noise.
Nige333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #18
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Hi Colin so you live near Grays do you. I retired good few years ago now but spent a good few shifts at Grays over the years. Not my station though.
John
Old 02-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #19
Nige333

Nige333 is on a distinguished road

I'm in Ockendon.

Anyway, I've reduced the size of my baseboard slightly and relaid the track to a less ambitious configuration.

As I was relaying the track I've taken the opportunity to try out my own idea of using carpet tiles under the track. This certainly isn't a conventional way of laying track but I have no intention of ever ballasting so for me this is a cheap way of having something slightly more interesting than plain old plywood to look at.

I've had to use screws rather than track pins to hold the track in place due to the thickness of the carpet tiles - not ideal but it does have the benefit that I can fine tune the level of the track by tightening or loosening each screw. They will of course need to be dabbed with black paint to hide them. To be fair, the carpet tiles have had no benefit in terms of sound deadening but I'm still happy with the end result.

I have found that adding more beef to the framework and attaching it directly to the walls has indeed had a major positive effect in terms of cutting noise transmission - so top marks for the advice offered in this thread. Having tested my only loco at present (a DCC'd class 47), I'm happy that my neighbours in the flat next door will now have little idea that I'm running model trains in my living room.

I have attached an image of my layout - my first ever permanent one - the idea is to have a three platform station to the bottom right of the image (two through roads and a bay)........and the point at the bottom left of the image may one day lead to an upper level.

And that's where I am so far.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040361a.jpg (774.1 KB, 23 views)
Nige333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #20
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

Hi Nige333

You have got too little clearance at sides and back of the baseboard.

A hornby trakmat layout will fit comfortably within a baseboard this size. I think I would go for that.

Points are best situated near the operator!

If you use carpet it is a good idea to cover it with something such as a trakmat because tiny fibres can get drawn into the loco's mechanism .