Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Old 27-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Nige333

Nige333 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Noise Insulator

So Iíve made my first baseboard using 9mm ply and pinned the track in place.

Problem Iíve got is too much noise when running a train - so I imagine itíll be worse with more than one running.

Iíve read lots of different views on whether or not to use any sound proofing material under the track but for me sound proofing is crucial as I live in a flat and the walls are not exactly thick.

So Iím looking for thoughts on what might work best at reducing the noise.....
Nige333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

If you're not going to ballast the track, then lay it on 2mm or 3mm thick cork cut a little wider then the sleepers or in multi track widths. Glue the cork to the baseboard top with PVA woodworking adhesive, weighting it down with tin cans or books etc while the PVA dries.

If you're going to ballast the track then your wasting your time laying the cork, as the solid ballast once glued in place will still transmit the sound through into the plywood.

It may be possible to bond some form of sound proofing to the ply underside. Never tried it so I cant say if it would work or what material is best to use. Car sound insulation is perhaps one??
Old 27-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Nige333

Thanks for the reply.

Iím not intending to ballast.

With the car stuff, I wonder if it would give rise to fibreís getting caught in the train wheels? Mind you, I was in the range earlier and they had some carpet tiles that caught my eye......
Old 27-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

The problem is amplified because we all tend to make our baseboards as light as possible and stand them, usually, on just 4 legs, one in each corner, like a table......but if this was constructed like a solid oak dining table the noise would be far less due to the mass of timber........consider using more crossbracing under the top and thicker legs, standing on rubber pads or thick carpet......the other effect is reflection off the surrounding hard surface walls and window so closing the curtains is a help but really the walls need some softening as well.......if one edge of the layout was bolted to an adjoining solid wall that would add mass to the baseboard and reduce reverberation.......I once had track fitted to 40mm kitchen worktop on top of cabinets and the noise was negligible because the worktop is dense and heavy......I hope there's some ideas you can use.......HB

P.S. also as you develop a layout with buildings, scenic items and ground cover this will help to reduce track noise.

Last edited by cadman; 27-03-2018 at 05:42 PM. Reason: P.S.
cadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

I was thinking of bonding the car sound material or similar insulation to the boards underside, so its fibres should never appear on the track side!
Old 27-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I keep storage boxes under my layout which deadens the sound considerably.
Old 27-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
Nige333

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman View Post
The problem is amplified because we all tend to make our baseboards as light as possible and stand them, usually, on just 4 legs, one in each corner, like a table......but if this was constructed like a solid oak dining table the noise would be far less due to the mass of timber........consider using more crossbracing under the top and thicker legs, standing on rubber pads or thick carpet......the other effect is reflection off the surrounding hard surface walls and window so closing the curtains is a help but really the walls need some softening as well.......if one edge of the layout was bolted to an adjoining solid wall that would add mass to the baseboard and reduce reverberation.....
This makes a lot of sense.

I have just about managed to squeeze in a 7’ by 4’ board at one end of my living room but it is boxed in by three walls. It is currently free standing on six legs and minimal framework - so I guess it’s no surprise that I’ve got noise issues.

I did think about attaching it to one wall to give more stability. Seems like it would have a double benefit. Part of the reason I went light on the framing underneath is because I want all the points to have motors mounted underneath, but as the holes are now cut there’s no excuse to not add additional framing whilst avoiding the point motors.

Stiffening the whole thing up could well make a lot of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
I was thinking of bonding the car sound material or similar insulation to the boards underside, so its fibres should never appear on the track side!
Ah ok, I hadn’t thought of trying it that way round.

Last edited by Nige333; 27-03-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 27-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

Something you can do to deaden the sound is put down a layer of foam core board and then put a layer of 4mm ply on top of that.
Old 28-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

If you like quiet running the only way in my experience is to use Peco foam track underlay. Which is quite horrible stuff after few,years it starts to degrade and fall apart. I think looks horrible.
But it is quiet. I would prefer the noise.
Why not try ear plugs.
By the way, go and stand by a level crossing. Trains are noisy................... John
Old 28-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
If you like quiet running the only way in my experience is to use Peco foam track underlay. Which is quite horrible stuff after few,years it starts to degrade and fall apart. I think looks horrible.
But it is quiet. I would prefer the noise.
Why not try ear plugs.
By the way, go and stand by a level crossing. Trains are noisy................... John
There's a bit more to the Peco foam underlay story. A horrible chemical which has now been banned was used in the manufacturing process originally used. The resulting foam was not dangerous, but the formulation had to be changed making the foam less stable particularly if it is subjected to sunlight and damp. However the new version of the foam is all right to use in a loft which is normally kept in total darkness and is not damp.