Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Tools

Tools Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

I wonder if itís just your store FP.
Last year I was after one of their bench sanders (following a debate on here), offered at a local store. Phoned them up and they reserved one, which I collected later the same day.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #12
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Hi SteveM no we have in the past 16 years lived in Essex, South Wales (twice), Cornwall and the North of GB and have had the pleasure of spending over the years quite lot of money especially on DIY tools and I have formed my opinion of the company over quite a long period of time. By using branches all over the country.
Perhaps I am just not as happy to put up with the average like a lot of people seem to these days. I find it hard to accept the low standards we are expected to put up with these days.. Just say I am old fashioned I guess. John

Last edited by Footplate1947; 12-01-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Footplate1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

With limited mobility and a large number of Lidl stores nearby I can't manage to go round every one of them to find if they have ever stocked and then if they have them in stock now. I can at least reduce the frustration of turning up at a store to find they've never had the desired item in stock. It is a lottery and I think it does depend on the store and their individual staff a great deal more than it should to find good service. I've had no complaints so far. It's the corporate system of not telling customers what is in stock that I challenge as being unfriendly. I can go to Currys PC world in one part of the area and if they don't have something, anything, that I want they will be able to look up the current stock level in the region and reserve it at a store nearby for me to go and collect. This was before the web based systems of 'click and collect' were common. They still do it now too.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #14
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Over here, in Gods own country, Lidl, are very good. You can phone any store, and they will reserve you an item. If you have a prob, and have receipt, exchange/ refund, without fuss. You can look at all offers coming up, on line. Particularly helpful for us, as 60 mile round trip. john
yelrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
dtb
9C Macclesfield

dtb is on a distinguished road

for us nearest Lidl is a 30 mile round trip, fortunately I have both items purchased elsewhere from other sources in the distant past, however even though it is somewhat irrelevant to me in my location it is good to see the info passed on for others to get the benefit should it be required.
Old 13-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #16
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Experience in my local Lidl is that some special offers are very limited in number (i.e. half a dozen)and if the store puts them out early (not unusual to find Thursday offers on sale Wednesday evening and Sunday offers on a Saturday afternoon) they may appear as if they never had them to someone arriving at the start of the offer day.

Had no problems with Lidl Service - had a 2 year old sports camera that went faulty and they sent me a brand new one :-)
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #17
Postman Prat

Postman Prat is on a distinguished road

I bought a couple of the display cabinets, which come up every year, or so. Great quality.
They're very heavy so a couple of guys, without being asked, came out and loaded them into the car for us. Wouldn't come with us, though, to unload them at this end!!!

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
Postman Prat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #18
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Same here PP. I purchased a pair of the small cabinets. I didnít have to touch them until I got them home. Great service.
Old 13-01-2018, 07:04 PM   #19
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

They are ganging up on me now. OK I give up I am totally wrong I know nothing, I am a an idiot, I give up Lidl most change all their habits when they see my registration number turn in to the car park. Can hear them muttering. He is comming get ready boy's. ........John
Old 13-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #20
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Weíre not ganging up on you. I bought some cabinets they helped me. Canít help it. Bought something heavy in B&Q a while back. Struggled for 20 minutes to lift it into the car. You win some you lose some.

You could have a point about your number plate .