Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 26-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

AviatorAtHeart is on a distinguished road
Default Bampton Roughly! (Oxon)

Well I'm not sure where to start with this?
Hello I guess!
This is my first layout and as such I will need all the help I can muster with every element past knowing that I must build this!
I think it may take 3-5 years given my current knowledge base and complete lack of any train related equipment!

So far I've done a lot of reading and I must say I didn't realise how involved even a simple layout truly was!

So here goes, Bampton Roughly aka Bampton and Brize Norton (N gauge).

In this first post I should say thanks to Martin Loader, for allowing me permission to reproduce in part, his excellent website, www.fairfordbranch.co.uk
Any images are copyright of the respectful owner and those I have used from this site I have been granted permission to use.

The first attachment is a basic line drawing of the layout, quickly sketched on my phone. (I did this just in case I wasn't allowed to reproduce anything but hey, I got the green light so........here goes!)
The black and blue section are the passing siding? And main line through the station platforms coming from Witney and ending in Fairford. I figure I will need to add circles at each end to turn the train around (more realistic than a loop).
The pink section pushes trains to the weighbridge section and the purple part represents the track and point sets in/out of the goods shed and I guess forms part of the shunting/fiddle yard. This passes over the blue track (common crossing?). Platforms are red dashes.

Also, I found a scale map on old maps.com? Which suggests the overall length from the furthest points east to west to be in the region of 1400feet.
Scaling that up to 1/144 gives a size of just under 3metres......
Too big! So, I'm hoping with your help I can capture the feel of the station perhaps with slightly less than scale resolution!
Thanks for reading........
More pictures to follow in due course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2389.JPG (59.5 KB, 65 views)

You can only drink so much lemonade

Last edited by AviatorAtHeart; 26-06-2017 at 11:17 PM.
AviatorAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Regrettably, Aviator, this hobby is all about compromise - at almost every level with the possible exception of expenditure (if you're not careful). R-
Old 26-06-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

@Aviator...........get www.anyrail.com downloaded and you can draw up your proposed track plan to scale using whatever make of track.........HB
cadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

Hi Roger, please call me Jamie! Or OY? Although, aviator is way cooler......
I think expenditure is the prime reason it will take so long! I can divert limited funds only! At least I have a solid target.
(Besides every hobby is a compromise, photography is another thing I do, that's full of compromise or you're obscenely well off!) Even plastic aircraft some restraint is called for before you end up living in a model shop! (I'm a class A student of that!)

Hi cadman......with that name perhaps you can help! Anyrail is out of the question. I've looked for apple friendly packages and found trax which doesn't really work with an iPhone. Maybe my bro will let me have a day on his mac? Thanks though.......I'm looking at ways around this first issue!
Buying a pc is also out of the question!

Even the track type is open for debate, I looked at 2mm fs and the N gauge equivalent.
The thought of these systems is ok but the points cost maybe prohibitive, and for peco 55 I'm not sure if the common crossing would work here? Maybe it will, if I can form that part of the track using 55 keeping the parallels lined up then I will go down that road.....otherwise it's going to be really expensive, and quite difficult, if I end up building all the track..... maybe it's possible to modify the common crossing(kit bashing!).
So, knock yourselves out with debate! I'm happy to try anything.

Last edited by AviatorAtHeart; 26-06-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 28-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Paul1066

Paul1066 is on a distinguished road

As a total beginner, I spent quite a bit of time planning my layout on a CAD package, but once I got the general idea of what I was after, and had the baseboard in place so I knew what space I had to play with, it was a case of pens, paper, tape and rulers! I downloaded the free point plans from Peco (I'm modelling in 00 gauge) printed them out and taped some together to fit in with my ideas and sketched out the rest of the track. You very quickly start to realise what you can do in the space available.
Paul1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 12:32 AM   #6
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

Hi Paul. Thanks for your input!
Yeah, my trouble is I haven't even seen an n scale train or piece of track!
I do have the layout sorted as I'm replicating reality.....so that part is easy.....in principle at least?
I have a track plan to follow! That'll do me........

It will (if I can get the track to work out ok) be built from an 8x4 board.
Run 1 foot off the back to leave 8x3 and then cut 1 foot off the short side leaving you with 7x3!
Then cut the 8x1 offcut length into a 3ft piece and a 5ft piece.

Now I have 2off 3x1 and 1off 5x1 which will form a U shape for the back scene.....
This will sit on the 7x3 base board, centred about.
So the scenic area will be 5x3. With 1x3 off each end......
Still with me?

Now as it is the middle section of an end to end branch line I am trying to give an impression of, the trick will be turning the train around in the out of scene sides (2@1x3)

I think the tracked zone will be happy in the first foot of display area leaving me a large area behind (some 5ft by 2ft) for part of the airfield that is brize norton!

At least that's the plan.......
Good news....brother will get the program, and let me use his mac for the technical design, so all I need is a decent rail cad package that operates on Mac OS. At least one with all peco track parts will do!

I may need to squeeze it in a bit, to get the out of scene turn arounds to fit.
Really I'm trying to squeeze almost 3 meters (1400foot prototype, 2.96? Metre scaled)
Into 1500mm.......so, plenty of challenges! And to top it all off, I haven't a clue about train track laying as a functioning model layout.

Drawings, scrawlings and pictures to follow. Maybe tomorrow evening?

Old 29-06-2017, 12:35 AM   #7
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1066 View Post
once I got the general idea of what I was after, it was a case of pens, paper, tape and rulers! I downloaded the free point plans from Peco (I'm modelling in 00 gauge) printed them out and taped some together to fit in with my ideas and sketched out the rest of the track. You very quickly start to realise what you can do in the space available.
Thanks for that. I'm also a raw beginner and have almost finished the baseboard (it's summer so the garage insulation can wait awhile ). You have just shown me how to carry on.
Jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Paul1066

Paul1066 is on a distinguished road

Good luck guys, some interesting proposals there, I look forward to seeing them develop. Another advantage of the paper and tape method is it gives you an idea of where the track and points will be on your baseboard and therefore you can try to avoid points being above any cross bracing which would hinder fitting below-deck points motors later on. From my experience, I'd say take care on planning the curves - make sure rolling stock on adjacent lines can't foul each other or walls or scenery - it's surprising how far your longest coaches and locos overhang the tracks on curves! Also if you want to put points within station platform limits be careful coaches don't foul the platform - I almost fell foul of that one.
Paul1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

"Also if you want to put points within station platform limits be careful coaches don't foul the platform"
Gold! Cheers.....
One set of points is at the end of a platform!
Guess my next order is a bunch of points and a slab of track.......

I think I sussed my runaround at each end too! It came to me in a dream last night.......

Old 01-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

Default Hurrah pictures!

I'll explain these in a forthcoming edit!

It seems I can only add one at a time? So I'll start here.......
Www.fairfordbranch.co.uk
This is the collage I sent to Martin, he agreed to me using it! That's really excellent because now you can see what I'm doing (if you haven't already checked out his page that is!).

The line art, this belong to Stanley Jenkins. It was reproduced by Martin loader.
I changed the line a bit to better represent what the pictures are telling me.
But there are a few items that do not match up!
The main point (original line art) is the western end buffer stop. Originally it is drawn on the mainline, I can't seem to see it in the picture, a better quality one will be uploaded...

This may have been the left overs from the extension into brize norton during the build but I'm not sure?

The goods shed (west siding buffer stop?)
The drawing suggests it joins the track at the end near the ground frame. The picture looks like a buffer stop? But it isn't very clear?

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (739.7 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by AviatorAtHeart; 01-07-2017 at 07:52 AM.