Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road
Default A concensus of opinion

I need to start simple and add other bits later - as I learn that is. I know little about railways and although inspired early in life, I went off in another direction. I also know very little about woodworking so if anything at all transpires it is down to the good folks here.
I was advised to get the layout done first so I have made a start. 9Mm Ply for the base and 5/8 X 3 for the framework and legs, the latter which are screwed and glued. I did not realise the total size it will be a whopping 4'+5'+4'=13' long! Huge for this beginner. At each end will be a 4' Square so 4' deep. Well, it'll have to keep 3 grand sons happy (and their interest I hope).
I started today making up the first section being a 4' square. It was an 8' X 4' 9mm ply cut in half so I needed to frame and brace it and put legs on it. The latter were glued as well and they also need bracing but later.
Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fitting the frame.JPG (133.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg bracing.jpg (93.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg it is bigger than I imagined.jpg (799.2 KB, 54 views)
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
Diesel74

Diesel74 is on a distinguished road

Getting some track down, even if like me a temporary circuit, will allow you to run trains.
Spending months getting the layout right is a worthy goal, but your enthusiasm could stall if you aren't running trains
Diesel74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Nothing wrong with your woodworking skills that i can see Jim6
Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
Erthe

Erthe is on a distinguished road

A great start to your layout

I look forward to seeing it evolve and take your start as my own motivation to get my baseboard underway.

I look forward to future pictures
Erthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Hi Jim - Can you get to the 4ft sq sections from two sides - 4 feet is a long stretch. Don't worry about the overall size, my first and only layout is around three sides of a room, giving a twenty seven foot run. I built the boards (from kits) before any track was laid. Go for it.

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 01-04-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Paul1066

Paul1066 is on a distinguished road

Jim looks fine to me. I tried various options for the layout and to be honest, the best way was to get some wallpaper backing paper, or photocopy paper sellotaped together, or even newspaper sellotaped together and lay it over your board and get out the pencils and pens and get creative! Download and print out the points from Peco's website so that you know how the spacing works and just sketch out the rest. Doing that saved me a lot of headaches over what would fit in the space I had and once I saw in "real life" what the layout would look like, I could quite easy make some changes to improve it. In particular it gives you the opportunity to move your points about so they are not directly over a bracing member (one day you might want to fit a points motor). Good luck and keep us posted.
Paul1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
mijj

Thank you everybody for comments and advice, sorely needed here .
This afternoon I was able to complete the second section, 5' X 2' framing and bracing (bar the legs which I found made it too cumbersome to handle by myself). I hope to complete section three, the 4' square and roundy roundy bit on Monday, all being well.
I'll then look to erecting it in a tidier garage
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg second and third sections.jpg (106.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
mijj

I completed section 3 today as the weather was too changeable to take SWMBO to Seaford. She uses a power chair so it's no good if it's cold or lots of peeps about. Perhaps tomorrow for her. Anyway the baseboard is done apart from the legs so I'll get tidying up tomorrow or the day after. The first section I did will need something to stabilise it as it wobbles with all the legs with the same orintation. Something I could easily alter if I had not glued them - or perhaps you know different? I used No-More-Nails.
Jim
PS Just checking and saw the extra bits in the bracing. The pack that Wickes sold were not 8' long. They were shy of that even when they went between the first and second pieces of frame already on the board. Wood merchants=near enough is good enough!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg section 3 of baseboard.jpg (89.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by mijj; 02-04-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijj View Post
...........................PS Just checking and saw the extra bits in the bracing. The pack that Wickes sold were not 8' long. They were shy of that even when they went between the first and second pieces of frame already on the board. Wood merchants=near enough is good enough!
Nearly all wood is sold in metric lengths now Jim. I got caught out on that one!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
mijj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
Nearly all wood is sold in metric lengths now Jim. I got caught out on that one!
How right you are TWD, the lengths are 2400mm which is 4cm (or 40mm) short of 8'. I was going by the ply which is an 8' X 4' sheet and I got that at our DIY shop. Perhaps if I had got the ply at wickes as well, then it would have been 1200mm X 2400mm and the framing wood would've matched the ply and I'd be a happy bunny .
Jim.