Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #51
TimberSurf
Webmaster/Modelapprentice

TimberSurf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
Is that BR standard loading gauge.
I must admit I could probably look up what the actual gauge is/was and work out the 4mm/1ft equivalent, but like most of my modelling, prototypicality is of little concern to me (Lumsdonia tends to make its own rules) so most measurements are done "thumb to eye". The only gauge test I have on the layout at the moment is the 7 track road bridge, which was measured at 3 inches to the underside, which was thought to be more than adequate, at the time. There's plans for many tunnels and bridges in the bigger overall layout plan and none will be higher clearance than the nominal 3", so as said before, these two models will probably either reside in my cabinet as testimonials to my first scratch build or else become siding decorative queens!

What's BR anyway?

Gauge = OO ¶ Controller = NCE ¶ Points = Servo ¶ Block control = TBA ¶ Lighting = USB from PC ¶ Locos = 50+ ¶ Wagons = 1,200+
TimberSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #52
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Dear Timbersurf,,,,,,,If you are not sure what BR is then try to google it. It's easy if you have any trouble will send some instructions which will make it easy for you. .....................John
Old 03-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #53
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
I have pinched several ideas from pictures on here and hope others do the same with mine, no correspondence necessary.
I would have thought that was the ideal time for correspondence, just to acknowledge that they have come up with a scene or solution that is worth replicating.
Its just the joy of the internet
chris_db4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #54
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I already have made far too many posts, donít encourage me.

If I go to a show and happen to spot something interesting Iíll just file the idea away for another day. Same as on here.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #55
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

indeed 10,139!

Going back to the start, I like the scratch build loads, ok its a pity they wont fit under the bridges but still they add something different and one of the big disadvantages of this hobby is with a limited choice of suppliers there is a lot of repetition, identical Metcalf towns and villages etc.
chris_db4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #56
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

All my loads are home made but I make sure I can run them. To me itís a bit daft having something that just couldnít be there. Each to his/her own though.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #57
TimberSurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_db4 View Post
indeed 10,139!

Going back to the start, I like the scratch build loads, ok its a pity they wont fit under the bridges but still they add something different and one of the big disadvantages of this hobby is with a limited choice of suppliers there is a lot of repetition, identical Metcalf towns and villages etc.
It is good, to have something "different", I have plans for other bespoke Lumsdonia specials. I too abore samey easily recognisable buildings and intend to do much more kit bashing and scratch building. Hence when the competition came up, I thought I would have a go, even if the results were a disaster, you can't learn skills without making mistakes, it's part of the process. As it happens, they turned out alright and have proven the concept (I can scratch build from household junk!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
All my loads are home made but I make sure I can run them. To me itís a bit daft having something that just couldnít be there. Each to his/her own though.
All is not lost, at worst they are a conversation piece in a siding, I could hack them up and reduce the height or even incorporate another 5mm into the loading gauge design of the rest of the layout (as yet unbuilt).
The point of building them was to test my skills, not necessarily to make runnably stock (I have 1,200+ other options on that front!)

Gauge = OO ¶ Controller = NCE ¶ Points = Servo ¶ Block control = TBA ¶ Lighting = USB from PC ¶ Locos = 50+ ¶ Wagons = 1,200+
Old 03-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #58
TimberSurf

Dear footplate, many thanks for the offer of assistance, but I did spit when asking the question!
There is no love lost between "The other railway" and Lumsdonia. A guy once remarked about our carriages being Blood 'n' Custard. After his friends picked him up off the floor, they explained the meaning of his remark and I nearly had to apologise, but just explained that Lumsdonia Ochre and Mauve, had probably been pinched by "The other railway" in the first place

Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #59
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

I have never reached for the ignor list. It is tempting. No think it is nessary....................John
Old 07-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #60
Longvallon

Longvallon is on a distinguished road

Hello TimberSurf,
your website is very interesting and I found a lot of ideas. Thanks.