Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 17-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
terryj

terryj is on a distinguished road
Default double slip and pm4

normally I fit under the points to hole in centre of bar
double slip only has holes in each end
is it still a case of hold point in centre motor pin in centre and straight line though the bar
or is it point all the way in one direction point motor all the way in same direction and lined up through bar
or do I just go surface mounted for an easy life and live with them

Last edited by terryj; 17-05-2018 at 07:25 PM.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Yes, fit the two motors the same as you would for any single ended point.
You really dont need PM4 unless the points over centre spring has failed or is missing. The PM1 will do, if all is intact on the point.

I assume the Double Slip is not an Electrofrog? If it is, you will need to wire each frog to the opposite end motors 'F' terminal 'D' & 'E' connect to the rail feeds.
Old 17-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
terryj

using pm4 because I already have them
other problem I can see is marking up the holes for the fixing screws as the points are wider then the motor
I use a cardboard templet usually to mark up the position of the holes and slot
is it just mark and drill one hole and then trial and error under the board for the other screw
Old 18-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Flashbang
Administrator

Here’s how I do it (it may not be the best but works every time for me). Temporary position point in its final place. Place point blade mid-way and with a pin or other thin item mark through the drive pins hole in the tie bar. Allow point blades to move full and with a pencil mark a line directly in line with each end of the tie bar with the point in each position. Remove point. With a rule and pencil draw a straight line joining the outer marks, this line should cut directly across the middle mark too. Extend the line a little beyond the end of the point each side by about 10mm or so.

Now you have two choices, either drill one 9mm dia. hole in baseboard where the pin hole was marked through. Or use a 4mm dia drill bit and drill a hole immediately adjacent to each other on the line marked and either side of the central hole. Elongate the 4mm holes into one so you end up with a 4mm by 9mm slot.

Change drill bit to an 0.8mm or 1.0mm one and drill a hole each side of the points position drilling right through the baseboard on the pencil line and outside the ends of the points tie bar. These two holes are used underneath as alignment guide holes.

Underneath use the pencil and rule and place the edge of the rule on the two small holes and draw a line from one side to the other. The line should cut through the centre of the previously drilled hole or slot. The pencil line should be extended out beyond the two fine holes.

Refit point to final position and hold blades mid way. Hold Seep mid-way and feed its drive pin up through the hole or slot and into the hole in the tie bar. Using the underneath pencil line as a guide, position the Seep so as its middle outer edges are centred over the pencil line on each side. Secure Seep with fine wood screws but don’t over tighten them. Remove packing from point blades and Seep and test it over and back by finger both ways. No resistance should be felt and the point blades should freely follow the motors position.

The above seems long winded, but in reality is very simple to do!
Old 18-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
terryj

thanks
that looks the best and probably only way to do it
thanks again looks like I have done it

and then my cheap dremmel copy gave in and I cant lop off the point rods
sods law strikes again

buy cheap buy twice

Last edited by terryj; 19-05-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 28-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
terryj

well followed you spot on instructions and now have a working double slip thanks again
ps the bad luck with my dremmel was actually good luck I hadn't soldered on the wires so would have ended up trying to do them upside down under the table
Old 29-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
Flashbang
Administrator

I do not recommend using any Dremel style drill and metal cutting disks to trim the drive pin, as the heat generated by the cutting can very quickly lead to the points plastic tie bar hole melting and elongating!

By far the best is to use a 7" or 8" pair of cheap priced wire side cutters. Hold the top of the pin in one hand to stop it flying off at high speed and the wire cutters in the other hand. Cut pin off close to the top of the tie bar. No heat and a quick and easy cut! I got my cutters from my local tool stand at the towns market - 3.50ish, but worth a look in other places too e.g. Pound or similar bargain stores etc that sell hand tools.
Typical example... Link to side cutter example
Old 29-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
terryj

i always hold the pin in pliers to take away a lot of the heat