Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics

Old 07-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
brb

brb is on a distinguished road
Default Engine fault

At well under a year old my Country Flyer set seems to have pretty much given up. Since I purchased from Toys R Us I don't think there's much hope of a refund or replacement!

The problem seems to be with the power transmission between tracks and motor. Regardless of where I place the loco on the track it works intermittently. Nudging it along seems to make it work momentarily, then it stops again. I'm just wondering if it's worth trying to fix this, or should I just buy a new engine. Since the entire set cost about 50 I am just looking for the cheapest/easiest way to get my son up and running again with new/fixed loco.

If anyone has any experience of this type of fault I'd love to hear from you.

Many thanks

Andrew
brb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #2
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Have you ever cleaned the track and the wheels?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Walkingthedog said, the most common issue is a thin layer of dust on the rails can cause issues. Easiest way is to either buy a track cleaning rubber (Peco and Hornby do nice ones) or get some alcohol for cleaning purposes. This alcohol is highly flammable so take caution if buying this product. It can be used on track and wheels. Dont forget the backs of the wheels as there are four hidden little copper electrical contacts that transfer power from the track through the wheels and then via the tiny copper wipers behind the wheels, to the motor.
I would say that dirty track is the number one reason for intermittent running. I hope this helps.

NOTE. DO NOT USE SAND PAPER OR OTHER ABRASIVE PAPER TO CLEAN THE TRACK. The reason is that it introduces tiny scratches to the surface of the track and these scratches will prevent electrical contact with the wheels. (Been there and done that in my younger years!)
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
brb

brb is on a distinguished road

Dirty tracks? Wow, hadn't thought of that. I do have some 70% alcohol wipes so I will have a go with those before I try anything else.

Thanks!
brb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Not just the track but clean the wheels as well not forgetting the back of the wheels where the pickups rub.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
RAFHAAA96
Trying-hard-to-re Member

RAFHAAA96 is on a distinguished road

You can narrow down the intermittent problem by putting the terminals of a 9 volt block battery across the loco wheels. Try it both ways round and see if the loco runs smooth.

If so then you know the track, controller and/or link wiring is the more likely problem area.