Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Old 23-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #41
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Thanks MG, I did not know any of that. I did know the Mixed Freight sets are DCC. I was hoping to use NCE controllers and have three grand sons that visit at the same time. I was hoping to use a controller each, so I can't do that . Is there another way to achieve this? Do NCE do just hand sets, say one per loco with one controller powering the rails?
Jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #42
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijj View Post
Thanks MG, I did not know any of that. I did know the Mixed Freight sets are DCC. I was hoping to use NCE controllers and have three grand sons that visit at the same time. I was hoping to use a controller each, so I can't do that . Is there another way to achieve this? Do NCE do just hand sets, say one per loco with one controller powering the rails?
Jim.
Jim, have a word with Tinker as he has a similar set up with a number of NCE units on his layout.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #43
mijj

Tinker, I have PM'd you .
Jim.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #44
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know a lot about other systems as I have only used my Lenz system and I once had a Bachmann basic controller in a little trainset which I sold to a friend for what I paid for it (The sets had gone up in price) to introduce him to DCC. (I only tried the set once or twice).

The Lenz system is very flexible. I dont know if I am going to keep it though as I have thoughts of selling all my 00 gauge collection off a bit at a time, as my concentration is in 0-16.5 which I've found a love for. I find that when I find something I really like, it almost takes over my life, so at least with 0-16.5 I have to build what I have, so it does not mean I get carried away with buying everything I dont need. (Mind you, I can't do this as I've had no income for the last few years Stops me going silly buying things I dont need). I love shutting myself out from outside life and concentrating on one thing or two or three things as the case may be, though about 95% of the time it is actually daydreaming.

Back to the DCC subject. I know with my Lenz I have a button on one controller (Can't reemember if the same is on the other handsets I have) which I can quickly scroll between two seperate trains. Digitrax has two seperate control knobs to do this. Lenz is actually just as easy! Having said that, any DCC system you can control more then one loco at a time using just one handset. It means though, that you can set an almost unlimited amount of locos on the go (Depending on how powerful your system is with using extra boosters etc if needed), though you will only actually have control of one (Or in the case of some controllers, two) locos if one only has one handset.
There is also on some systems like my Lenz, the ability to double head or set a consist. A consist is where one can run many locos coupled together as if they are one loco. For example, if one has a depot and one wants to move a rake of locos, or if one is double or triple heading or more. I can't remember how many locos I can make a consist with. I believe it is around 20 or just over or under. Each loco added into the consist can be position ex either way round once you have told the controller the info. Is easy to set up or disband a consist when I tried it, though I can't recall how it was done as not used my Lenz for ages! I'd need to get the manual out!
Double heading or consisting is different from setting trains to go and scrolling between them as when I set individual trains to go I only have direct control of two locos (With either Digitrax or Lenz and a few others) or one loco with other systems. It does not stop one having many trains on the go at a time. Just means that other trains will carry on going with the last instructions one has given them to do.
I hope this helps to clarify the concept.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #45
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Jim, have a word with Tinker as he has a similar set up with a number of NCE units on his layout.
Sent a PM Jim
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #46
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

NCE DCC PowerCab can have additional throttles working the layout. From memory I think it's a maximum of 2.
Visit the NCE web site to view the different throttles available https://www.ncedcc.com
Old 23-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #47
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
NCE DCC PowerCab can have additional throttles working the layout. From memory I think it's a maximum of 2.
Visit the NEC web site to view the different throttles availablehttps://www.ncedcc.com
Its easier to use a SB5 and Procabs(6) if you not worried about the extra cost..

https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/...r-for-Powercab
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #48
mijj

Thanks for all the help and links Tinker.
I looked up the NCE site this morning, spoke to Kevin by phone and all ordered. He will also include some wiring info as 'I know nutting' about these things. It was so cold today (whatever happened to global warming, I could do with some) I did not venture into the garage. Perhaps tomorrow then it's track time. I'll use the select to try things out and to answer MG the other select has already gone to a good home. I'll be asking how to do a video and put it on youtube soon .
Jim.

Last edited by mijj; 24-02-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #49
mijj

Aghhhh ! I forgot something essential if my grand sons are going to play...... a short protection device. Ok I'll give Coastal a ring come Monday .
Jim.
Old 27-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #50
mijj

"Don't panic Mr Maneuring!"
There is a short device built in the main NCE hand set so I am told. Well that is what the man Kevin said. So I'm not panicking .
Jim.