Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics

Old 15-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
Pompeydave

Pompeydave is on a distinguished road
Question Preparing wire ends

In areas under the (fixed) baseboard where soldering is difficult and/or uncomfortable to join wires I use a piece of "choc block". In preparing the bare wire at the end my practice is to double the wire over and tin. My view has been to give the screw plenty of body to hold on to. If the need to unscrew arose the end could be used in the same state.

I have recently bought my first Cobalt point motor. Within the instructions is the note "The wire will always be more secure if it is not tinned". This is understandable as the terminal connections are spring loaded.

It leads me to wonder what method other members favour. Am I in or out of step?
Pompeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

There is no need to tin wire that's going into any screw down connections. They can if tinned over time start to become loose and can even fracture if the wire is likely to be moved or flexed.
Ideally the use of Boot Lace pins on the wire ends is best if you can obtain them or even crimped pin connectors.
But generally just twist multi stranded wires together to form a more solid wire end and if the wire is very small indeed double over the bared wire then screw down after ensuring the wire is correctly inserted.
Old 15-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

If the wire is subject to movement tinning the wire produces a single point by the insulation for it to flex and it inevitably snaps at that point.

On high current connections it is definitely a no no! Tinned wires compressed by a terminal screw tend to come loose due to flow in the solder induced by mechanical pressure. In a high voltage and high current situation this can lead to micro arcing causing localised heat which further causes the solder to flow and oxidise. When wiring 13A plugs you are recommended to grip the bare wires or use brass ferules crimped on the wires.

Those of us of a certain age may remember the days when appliances tended not to have moulded on plugs and consumers were expected to fit their own. Very often the wires would be tinned which many people thought was done for the convenience of fitting the plug when in fact they were tinned to make testing by the manufacturer easy.

Richard
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Trouble with soldering the tips is that solder doesn’t compress when the screw is tightened.
Old 15-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Pompeydave

Pompeydave is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Thank you for the education. Most of the connections I have in mind are with 7/0.2 wire. I will in future avoid tinning (what a saving in time and effort!) but
continue with doubling. Always something to learn in this world.
Pompeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Rog (RJ)
Super Duper Moderator ;-)

Rog (RJ) is on a distinguished road

Thread moved to more appropriate section.

Rog (RJ)
Rog (RJ) is offline   Reply With Quote