Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Location location location

Location location location Where can I keep my model railway?

Old 10-02-2016, 01:59 AM   #1
stevew

stevew is on a distinguished road
Default Dust control on layout

Hi all,

I'm interested to hear what methods members use to keep dust and fluff under control on their layouts?

I've been on the lookout for a cleaning car, preferably with a built in vacuum cleaner for the track. But how do you keep the rest of the layout from accumulating household dust?

My current layout is 2.0m x 0.9m and will have a backdrop board on 3 sides so I will probably make up a cover to fit over the top of the whole layout. Currently I use an old bedsheet as it is just the baseboard and tracks at this stage.

But if I have my way and extend the layout later to 2 or 3 more boards this may not be very practicable.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:35 AM   #2
Silly Moo

Silly Moo is on a distinguished road

As covers I use plastic dustbin liners opened out and stuck together with selotape as they are lightweight and don't damage scenery. If you can find a lightweight plastic painters drop sheet that would work too.

You could also rig up a 'washing line' above the layout to drape the cover over and to keep it clear of the scenery.

Most of the time the covers are off as I'm always doing something on the layout.
Silly Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
dynax

dynax is on a distinguished road

i don't cover mine, the cats would only rip it to shreds anyway trying to get under it to play trains

Give a man a fish and it will feed him for a day,
teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day!!
dynax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynax View Post
i don't cover mine, the cats would only rip it to shreds anyway trying to get under it to play trains
Mike, surely allowing a cat onto the layout must cause horrendous damage. I have cardboard buildings, trees, delicate lamps, people, cars and rolling stock on mine and I dread to think what damage could be caused by one.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

I don't bother to cover my layout. If the dust gets very noticeable I might try to tidy up a bit with a paint brush. Whatever you do don't put the Dyson anywhere near it! R-
Old 10-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
dynax

dynax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
Mike, surely allowing a cat onto the layout must cause horrendous damage. I have cardboard buildings, trees, delicate lamps, people, cars and rolling stock on mine and I dread to think what damage could be caused by one.
i have no scenic elements on the layout as yet, but as it is now they are very careful where they walk, they step over the rolling stock, and tend to stay on areas of bare board, and just watch the trains go round,

Give a man a fish and it will feed him for a day,
teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day!!
dynax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road

We have got two cats. One of them sleeps in Station Approach and the other in Oast House Field!

In the pound shop you can get a laptop cooler which comes in a useful cardboard box. You fit the fan under a bridge or in a tunnel and it dusts the trains as they go by!

I have got an ioniser for removing dust from the atmosphere in the layout room. It consists of a bowl of water and a fan. It does work, but the noise is irritating. What you can do is have a time switch so it comes on at night when the dust settles.

I have got a dehumidifier in the layout room, also connected to the timer. This prevents mould growing on the layout. I have found my 40 year old Super Quick buildings are vulnerable to foxing! Modern resin buildings are invulnerable to damp, but the colors fade worse than SuperQuick.

You can get a soft brush in the Pound shop which is meant for dusting computer keyboards. There is also a can of compressed air for this purpose, but these items are not always stocked.
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
Chas

Chas is on a distinguished road

I find large sheets of tissue paper does the trick.
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #9
Paul Blackpool

Paul Blackpool is on a distinguished road

If you can locate your layout in a shed or loft duly converted for the intended purpose then you should not get too much dust accumulation as dust mainly comes from people or so I understand. This is assuming that you do not spend 24 hours a day doing your model railway however!
Old 10-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
stevew

stevew is on a distinguished road

A couple of useful tips there.
Thank you all for the replies.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote