Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Location location location

Location location location Where can I keep my model railway?

Old 11-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #11
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,, when i floored my loft in Weymouth, the local council demanded 8 inch joists, as part of planning. However, they happily accepted new 4 inch joists, glued and screwed on top of existing ones. They said that 4 inch joists were not sufficient, as they would flex. There is a bit of a grey area, when it comes to flooring as an occasional hobbies play area, and actually using loft as another room. Its further confused when you come to sell the house. I had to advise my insurers of the alterations, in as much as loft was now a room, albeit, occasional. I had a loft ladder, which folded away, which made loft hobby use, not a full conversion, but also, as trains were insured, needed to declare their location. I have had trains in lofts in 4 houses, without consulting any authorities, usually, by using walls/ cross members to support, but in the case of weymouth, loft was so vast, some 30 foot long, i just sought out advice, as existing joists flexed/ creaked, as i walked down.. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #12
Double Diamond

Double Diamond is on a distinguished road

Luckily, with the part of the loft I'm using, the ceiling joists span small rooms underneath ........landing, bathroom, airing cupboard and a small bedroom.

So, I suppose this will give the loft joists/flooring some extra strength.

Insurance? Never thought of that.............nah, don't want to give them another excuse to bump up the price
Double Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #13
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

DD, before you go much further with laying track may I suggest you just lay a simple loop around the floor and set a couple of locos running then go downstairs and check for any unacceptable noise transferred down into the bedroom and elsewhere......you may require some sound insulation.........just a thought......HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #14
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

The kids bedrooms were below my loft layout. If the noise disturbed them it was just the case of me getting revenge
Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #15
Double Diamond

Too late Mr C. All flooring done now.

Anyway, I'll be using 5mm Techni-board foam underlay, which should keep the train sounds to a minimum.

And if it doesn't, well.............tough!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #16
Bank Croft Jct

Bank Croft Jct is on a distinguished road
Smile

layout on the floor...oh no good for us with dodgy backs...would lift it up a couple of feet...you could then have an end to end layout and a good one at that....
Old 12-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #17
Double Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
The kids bedrooms were below my loft layout. If the noise disturbed them it was just the case of me getting revenge
He he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Croft Jct View Post
layout on the floor...oh no good for us with dodgy backs...would lift it up a couple of feet...you could then have an end to end layout and a good one at that....
Yeah, not good for the old back. But, with the wheelie swivel chair and maybe some nice soft cushions down the middle, it shouldn't be too bad.

The layout won't be totally on the floor though.

There will be two higher levels (connected with inclines), around the outside edge. The highest at around 1 foot. The problem being, because of the angle of the beams, the higher you go.....the more you'll get pushed into the middle of the loft.......thus losing valuable layout space.

Could've been worse. I was even thinking of hanging a baseboard from the kitchen ceiling with a hoist contraption. Got outvoted on that one!