Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Location location location

Location location location Where can I keep my model railway?

Old 15-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Look at the oil filled radiators with thermostats at Argos. Good idea to insulate the floor, standing on cold concrete can be quite painful a after a while. I wouldn't lay boards directly on to the concrete though as moisture can become trapped leading to rot, mould etc. At the very least the boards need supporting on thick battens to allow airflow under the boards and those battens should be protected from the concrete by a vapour barrier of some sort (large plastic sheet or lengths of DPC.
Old 15-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
Diesel74

Diesel74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Look at the oil filled radiators with thermostats at Argos. Good idea to insulate the floor, standing on cold concrete can be quite painful a after a while. I wouldn't lay boards directly on to the concrete though as moisture can become trapped leading to rot, mould etc. At the very least the boards need supporting on thick battens to allow airflow under the boards and those battens should be protected from the concrete by a vapour barrier of some sort (large plastic sheet or lengths of DPC.
Yes, I was going to batten the floor boards. Thanks for that advice.
Dehumidifier (my wonderful fiancee already had one doing nothing) now installed and working in garage. Thanks Yelrow.
Diesel74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #13
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Put polystyrene sheets on the floor with chipboard flooring on top, nothing like a damp floor to make you want to go indoors, the wall i used the same but replaced the chipboard with sterling board.....My garage has been like this for over 10 years, it nice and dry i also run the central heating pipes out there for a radiator......

Last edited by Tinker; 15-12-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Why not build another inner skin on a DPM with a damp proof membrane in the cavity. Relay the screed over DPM.
This will be quite expensive. But probably the running of and the cost of a descent dehumidifier running over a few years will be quite lot of money as well.. Also if as you say there is a gap under the Garage door which is filling the place up with damp air all the time you will find the machine is working over time trying to dehumidify the whole of the English countryside. If you want to do proper job you could build wall and put an ordinary Front door on the garage. If the garage is attached to the house see if you have heating pipes running near the garage wall and you can drill through and fit radiator in the new room. If you like I guess you could put a door through to it as you have in all intense ad purposes turned it into a proper room.
After you have done all that if there is space you could I guess, build a garage.
Old 15-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #15
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Diesel, hi, if it is just damp, in the air, the dehume, will dry it out. Remember to empty the water tank, redularly, cos it stops when full. After a few days, the air will smell normal. My machine, is an animal, with a whopping tank. Only takes hours to sort any damp through lack of use. If you are going to line walls etc, i use 2x1 battens, hence a 2 inch gap between wall and cladding. If walls are damp, you will need a hole in each wall, with a little metal cover, to allow air to circulate. Our bedroom here was damp, and we battended/ plasterboarded, with little air vents. 5 years on, when we run the dehume, it barely picks up any liquid, which means, tis a Proper Job. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
Diesel74

Diesel74 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone.
The walls of the garage are dry. Cold, but simply as cold as it is. No sign of damp or mould.
The dehumidifier is on. A small, portable radiator was always going to be part of the deal.
So, currently my plan is to continue with the insulation/damp proofing roll for floors and wall. Some Jablite panels where the garage door - and gap - is.
Then Sterling Board for the floors and part of the walls, all battened.
Diesel74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 05:20 AM   #17
Bank Croft Jct

Bank Croft Jct is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel74 View Post
Thanks everyone.
The walls of the garage are dry. Cold, but simply as cold as it is. No sign of damp or mould.
The dehumidifier is on. A small, portable radiator was always going to be part of the deal.
So, currently my plan is to continue with the insulation/damp proofing roll for floors and wall. Some Jablite panels where the garage door - and gap - is.
Then Sterling Board for the floors and part of the walls, all battened.
Once you have done all the insulation/damp proofing Diesel you wouldn’t need to have the dehumidifier on after a few days and the radiator with it set has Steve M has suggested will be enough to keep it dry and even warm to a certain degree.
Old 16-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #18
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Ginger The Hutt is on a distinguished road

De humidifier. Thanks for the reminder...
Old 16-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #19
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel74 View Post
I think it's more in the air. No signs of damp on the brickwork. There is a gap at the garage door letting air in. This will be tackled by the project. I want to put a floor in anyway.
Just wanted to add to my previous one. You said about the gap under the garage door. Well if it is one of those up and over types, they have gaps all around them and that is what I was trying to point out about using a dehumidifier. At this time of year you will just be trying to suck out the damp from the rest of the county as well as your garage unless you do some mods to the building. John