Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Analogue

Old 04-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Cobalts are smaller than Tortoise motors. So if your under baseboard clearance is limited then Cobalts are the answer.
For the standard Cobalt or Tortoise you use a nominal 12 volt dc power supply (ideally a regulated supply) and a Double Pole Double Throw On-On toggle switch. Wiring from the switch to the motor can be in 7/0.2mm equipment wire or a lot of users obtain six core alarm cable and use that which then allows them to have LED point position indicator on the panel too all feed in the same cable as the two operation wires.
You do need to remove the over centre springs on all points operated by Tortoise or Cobalt motors as these springs are not needed and do prevent the nice slow movement of the point blades.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
RFS

RFS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ashby View Post
Hattons do 12 cobalt analogue motors for 135 which looks very reasonable and wiring looks simple too. Do I need a cdu and what sort of switch? Toggle switches are cheap and might be best, although I do fancy a lever frame using peco. (The dcc concepts levers are lovely but very expensive.) thanks again.
Bear in mind there have been lots of reports on various forums of poor reliability of the Cobalt motors. There's a new range now available called "iP" (which stands for Intelligent Power) and I understand all the internals have been completely redesigned. Presumably because of the unreliability of the "mark 1" cobalt?

Hatton's have the new version in a 12-pack for 146, but as it's very new I don't know what the reliability is.

Personally I would recommend the Tortoise, as it's been around for 25 years now and has sold over 1m. Reliability is as close to 100% as you're likely to get. I've got 70 on my layout and not a single failure. You can get a box of 12 from Coastal DCC for 148 (http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products...tron/index.php)
RFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog (RJ) View Post
If you use slow action point motors such as cobalts, tortoise, Conrad's or fulgerex (and others) you do not need and cannot use a CDU. You only use a CDU with solenoid point motors such as Hornby's, Peco and Seeps.
Actually you can use CDUs to drive these as I am doing so myself. But I wanted to drive them via a DCC decoder, and so it's connected via a latching relay.

However as the OP does not want to use DCC and doesn't want to get into soldering this is clearly not the option for him, but I felt I should I should make this point for anyone else reading this thread.
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #14
RFS

RFS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
Actually you can use CDUs to drive these as I am doing so myself. But I wanted to drive them via a DCC decoder, and so it's connected via a latching relay.

However as the OP does not want to use DCC and doesn't want to get into soldering this is clearly not the option for him, but I felt I should I should make this point for anyone else reading this thread.
What point motors are you using? You certainly cannot use a CDU with Tortoises or Cobalts.
RFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #15
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFS View Post
What point motors are you using? You certainly cannot use a CDU with Tortoises or Cobalts.
I am using a cobalt omega. The DCC decoder switches a latching relay which in turn feeds 12v to the cobalt. Switching the other way reverses the DC volts and cobalt moves in the opposite direction. I can provide a diagram if you wish.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #16
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

So the CDU operates the relay?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #17
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
So the CDU operates the relay?
Yep, sure does as I said in post #13
Old 04-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #18
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

OK I didn't read it like that. Does a latching relay need a CDU as its just operating and not throwing point blades?

You're not using the CDU to operate the point motors though are you which is what the OP asked.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #19
Richard Ashby

Richard Ashby is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of this. It's proving very helpful in coming to a decision of what to do. I think that I shall phone Hattons tomorrow for a discussion with them and probably go for the cobalt with dpdt toggles.

Is see that a 'regulated' 12 v dc supply is needed. what does that mean.
Richard Ashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
OK I didn't read it like that. Does a latching relay need a CDU as its just operating and not throwing point blades?

You're not using the CDU to operate the point motors though are you which is what the OP asked.
Hi WTD,
We seem at odds here and I'm not sure whether it's my writing style or other's interpretation of it.

I may not be operating the point motors directly BUT I am operating them from the DCC decoder. I wanted to operate them via Hornby Railmaster and only had a normal solenoid driving accessory decoder available. As you are aware this type of decoder will only give a pulsed output and my work around using a latching relay achieves this.

Regarding your last sentence, yes I am well aware of what the OP asked and in my post #13 I clearly stated that this was not what the OP wanted. I just wanted to make others aware that Roger's statement saying that you couldn't operate a cobalt/tortoise from a CDU was not entirely correct, and with some additional circuitry it is quite possible and the proof lies in the fact that I have it working on my layout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobalt motor drive.jpg (42.2 KB, 9 views)