Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Analogue

Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #21
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I'm just trying to get my head round DCC things.

I think the OP was asking if the slow action motors needed a CDU which they don't, well not directly. Bit like saying my locos operate from the mains, which they do, but not directly.

I take it that the slow action motors have an electric motor within?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #22
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
I'm just trying to get my head round DCC things.

I think the OP was asking if the slow action motors needed a CDU which they don't, well not directly. Bit like saying my locos operate from the mains, which they do, but not directly.

I take it that the slow action motors have an electric motor within?
Yes, with this type of motor you put a DC voltage across it to drive in one direction which through a series of gears drives the actuator one way. When it gets to the end of it's travel it is stopped and only by applying a reversed DC voltage will the motor then travel in the opposite direction until it stops at the other end of it's travel, and so on.

Like I said, I knew I wasn't giving the OP the answer, just posting additional info which may help someone else reading this that wants to achieve the same as me.

Phew!
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #23
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Phew indeed .

I always used Peco motors or wire in tube, but now all my layout is within reach I operate my point handraulically. Might use a bit of wire in tube again one day.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #24
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Phew indeed .

I always used Peco motors or wire in tube, but now all my layout is within reach I operate my point handraulically. Might use a bit of wire in tube again one day.
That's the great thing with this hobby. Some like yourself want to be hands on and work it like a real railway. Then there are others like me who like computers and automation and want to click on one button on the screen and sit back and watch trains start stop, signals change, points change, level crossing gates open/close etc etc. Then there are others who want a mixture of both.

Thankfully there is room in the hobby for all of us, though as this thread has proved, sometimes it can be confusing!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #25
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ashby View Post
Thanks for all of this. It's proving very helpful in coming to a decision of what to do. I think that I shall phone Hattons tomorrow for a discussion with them and probably go for the cobalt with dpdt toggles.

Is see that a 'regulated' 12 v dc supply is needed. what does that mean.
Hi Richard, sorry I seem to have hijacked your thread. Some power supply units (PSU for short) are not fully rectified and/or controlled according to their load. A regulated PSU will have full wave rectification (removing the wavy bit from the AC mains supply) but also contain circuitry that keeps the output voltage constant regardless of the load placed upon it. Unregulated PSUs are fine for lighting lamps etc but some delicate electronic components can be damaged by them and require a regulated output. Hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #26
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
That's the great thing with this hobby. Some like yourself want to be hands on and work it like a real railway. Then there are others like me who like computers and automation and want to click on one button on the screen and sit back and watch trains start stop, signals change, points change, level crossing gates open/close etc etc. Then there are others who want a mixture of both.

Thankfully there is room in the hobby for all of us, though as this thread has proved, sometimes it can be confusing!
Totally agree TWD. WTD. Now that IS confusing.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #27
Richard Ashby

Richard Ashby is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all that. It looks as if cobalt motors need a dc power supply. No problem. My track, locos etc will eventually be dcc while points etc will be analogue. I bought a cheap analogue controller for testing purposes but the 15v ac output obviously isn't suitable for cobalt. No problem. The fiddle yard etc will have peco surface mounted points so I will be able to use the ac output for those.
Richard Ashby is offline   Reply With Quote