Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 14-09-2018, 04:55 AM   #1
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road
Default My DNA ancestry came in!

It's official, 67% of my DNA hails from the UK, much of it in and around the Outer Hebrides, and to my surprise, Ireland. Much of the other DNA came from Northern Europe, wherever the heck that is! I thought the UK WAS Northern Europe, or is that Finland, and so on?

I also have 234 Neanderthal genetic traits, and one of those, and I am not being facetious, is that it results in me "being less likely to sneeze after eating dark chocolate." Maybe DNA Ancestry was being facetious, I don't know.

Anyways, by Neanderthal genes may explain a lot of other things, or so my wife might say. We are still waiting on HER test results, and man, that is going to be a kicker.

She is from Mexico, which I am told relates to the word "Meztiqua," which in turn relates to the word "mix." I am not a linguistic expert, my French I have mostly forgotten, and my Spanish is more Spanglish than Iberian. So, any further education is, as always, welcomed.
Old 14-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Northern Europe is Scandanavia. As there is rather a lot of Scandanavian DNA in the UK thanks mostly to the Viking influence in Northern Britain this is hardly surprising!

I once worked with a Norwegian engineer and asked him why on earth his ancestors would build open wooden boats, sail them all the way across one of the most inhospitable waters in the world with the most basic of navigational aids just to rape and pillage Northern Britain. His answer? "You were the nearest!!"

Last edited by Bunkerbarge; 14-09-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Paul-H

Paul-H is on a distinguished road

I wonder how long before the likes of Ancestry start making money from this by selling their DNA database the the Police so they can add the results to the National DNA database used for crime detection. Obviously not a problem if you have never left a DNA sample at a crime scene or never committed a crime .
Paul-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

I didn't realise you could get this done.
Old 14-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I can tell you a bit of information about how the people originally spread into the Hebradies and why the links to countries in Europe but it involves a major religious movement.
History is a fascinating subject.
My brother found out that my family have royal links going back a many generations ago and accounts for our unusual surname with links to a certain area of Europe.. (I always thought I had blue veins! ).

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 14-09-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
I didn't realise you could get this done.
Its been around now for a little while. BB
Old 14-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
Chops

You gave me a good laugh, there, BB. I shared the joke with my sister...oops... Good show, MG! Currently I am reading "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humanity." The title sounds as though it might be a bit dry, but it reads like an Agatha Christy novel, that is to say, good stuff.

Imagine, if you will, that a giant asteroid extinguished all manner of life and you and a couple of dozen of your relatives managed to somehow become fossils. Becoming a fossil is rather difficult, but say you were the remaining specimens of humanity and that you were then discovered millenia later by visiting UFO paleontologists.

Those paleontologists would then have to extrapolate, for you mortal fossilized remains, what the rest of humanity, and its habits, consisted of. In other words, you would be representative of the 8 billion souls around currently.

That is much like modern paleontology does. A small handful of stone crumbles to deduce the progression of animal and human life over the past billion years, give or
take. The more that is found, the more baffling are the questions of intercontinental
migration and tool use. This is the ultimate "who done it."
Old 15-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Is interesting. Fascinating subjects there. My take on them is very different from most but I'm not an average person.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 01:51 AM   #9
Chops

And the plot grows thicker: most recent discovery is a real bombshell- a drawn cross hatch upon a 2 cm flake of rock, found in a depth, and among carbon deposits, dated to 70,000 years ago, making it well within the known realm of Neanderthal. Prior to this, based on the current evidence, Neanderthals did not do any art. This near Capetown, SA.

Then, another improbable find, a Denisovian bracelet finely crafted out of a jade like substance with a hole drilled in it. Denisovian is thought to be related to, but a different branch of, the Neanderthal lineage, in Russia. This one dated, also, to about 70,000 years ago, well before such refined craft work was thought to be possible, and then limited to our species: Homo Sapien.

In other words, these findings tip the apple cart, yet again. Love it.

One thing not discussed in the articles I read is if any of the aforementioned artifacts could have been washed from a higher stratum to a lower stratum. For example, if a Coca Cola bottle migrated through the soil layers by geologic action into the stratum associated with early cave men, would we then assume early man manufactured Coca Cola? Put another way: contamination of the "crime site."

As plastic degrades exceedingly slowly, I fear future paleontologists might happen across some of my attempts upon Dapol kits, and thus conclude that the Homo Sapiens was truly an incompetent, primitive species indeed.
Old 16-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

When I was very young, late 60s, I remember a lot of controversy as regards the book "Chariots of the Gods." This set out to prove that a lot of the known anachronisms of the time could be explained by the interference of alien life forms in our history who donated technologies and, in doing so became themselves the 'Gods.' His arguments were based on the fact that such remains as the pyramids and Stonehenge were not possible with the technologies available at the time they were built so must have been either assisted or even built by extra terrestrial beings.

From what I remember it caused quite a stir at the time.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote